Removing sanding marks from paint

Old 05-19-12, 07:24 PM
P
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Removing sanding marks from paint

OK this was my first attempt at painting furniture so bare with me. I have an end table and coffee table that I want to paint to match our entertainment center. It's black with distressed edges. It's got some gloss to it so I used a semi gloss interior paint with a sprayer and started with the end table first. I sanded it down to bare wood, then sprayed on about three coats of the black paint. That was a couple weeks ago, so it had plenty of time to set and I distressed the edges by sanding them the other day. That much looks great, but to match the entertainment center I wanted to thin the paint down a bit on the faces. Now that I have done it i wish I would have left it but oh well live and learn. Anyway, I want to spray it with a clear coating now but the top has these sanding marks from my 150 grit paper. Any way I can "polish" off these sand marks? Do I need to get a super fine sand paper? A wet sand or something? I

Old 05-20-12, 04:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 869 Upvotes on 760 Posts
Generally sanding with 120-150 grit won't show sanding scratches with paint. Did you sand with the direction of the grain [correct way] or against the direction of the grain? I'd try resanding with 180 or 220 grit. I've never seen a need to wet sand paint on wood.

Old 05-20-12, 11:02 AM
P
Well honestly after three coats of paint its hard to tell the direction of the grain. Looking at it now, I do see some cracks that indicate which way the grain is. The first pass I went with the grain, but seeing as it left streaks there I tried in the other direction. So either way it seems to leave marks. I would think at this paint thickness the grain wouldn't play much of a part. I'll try to find a higher grit sand paper.

Old 05-20-12, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
No expert...but there's also a technique to sanding. I'm not good at it, but I guess you need to use your palm, not fingers? On a flat surface I always tried to use a block or sponge.

It depends on the paint as well. I learned what I know with car paint...which dries quickly.

Old 05-20-12, 11:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,958 Upvotes on 1,755 Posts
In my experience, latex paint does not sand well. If it heats up (due to the friction of the sandpaper), it will usually start rubbing off like a pencil eraser. The sandpaper can also get "clogged" with these bits of paint. IMO, a light sanding as suggested with a block or sponge sander, followed by an additional coat of paint should cover up ur marks.

Old 05-21-12, 06:55 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,280 Upvotes on 1,218 Posts
You want the distressed look but this is too distressed?

Use finer grits of sandpaper until your sanding marks are gone, then apply your clear coat.

Old 05-21-12, 07:06 AM
P
Well when I say distressed I'm simply trying to match the look of the entertainment center which simply has the edges sanded down a bit to bare wood, but I noticed in some areas the paint was fairly thin almost to where you could see the old through it, almost as if it were a black stain. And really latex paint is probably not what I should have used but everyone i asked said I should use that. Well it's not a big deal, at this point I'll just get some finer grit paper and if that doesn't do it it I'll just spray a quick layer of paint back on top and be done with it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: