Pulling my hair out!

Old 06-08-12, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pulling my hair out!

I am working on a wood project...namesly a cross. I am using Folkart acrylic water based paint...1st question...what would the cure time be on this before i could apply my clear coat?
2nd question: What is the best clear coat to use once cure time is up? I tried minwax clear semi-gloss but turned the part i had painted white a nasty yellow.
3rd question: Am I supposed to be sanding between coats of clear coat if so how many coats should I apply for the best finish?
4th question: Is the Krylon spray clear coat a good finish product?

Im sorry for so many questions but I am in dire need for info
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-12, 09:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 169 Votes on 150 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

If you use an enamel [either latex or oil] you shouldn't need to apply a clear coat over it.
Oil base varnish/poly will always give whatever it's applied to an amber tint. It will yellow more as it ages. Waterbased poly doesn't change the look any [other than sheen] and won't yellow over time.

It's always a good idea to sand lightly between coats. I'm not overly familiar with the Krylon clear finish but it should work fine for small items. Might be difficult to get an even coat over large areas with a spray can.

The piece you applied the oil poly to will need to be sanded [maybe coated with oil base primer] and repainted before you can apply waterbased poly to it.

Latex paints can take up to a week or so to cure but that shouldn't affect any clear coat. You'd go by the recoat time listed on the paint can. Add a little extra time if multiple coats of paint were applied.