How can I make a new cypress table look old and weathered

Old 06-15-12, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How can I make a new cypress table look old and weathered

I built a cypress dining table, but I am having trouble figuring out how to finish it. I would like it to have an aged/distressed look. I attached a picture of my table and the look I'm trying to achieve. Does anyone have any experience doing this? I have tried to look for other advice, some people suggest using a steel brush but then do you apply a finish on top to get the dark color in the cracks? Or others use a mixture of vinegar and steel wool, but that seemed to come out a little grayer than I would like.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'd really appreciate some advice.

THANKS!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-12, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I don't have much experience...but I have to say...NICE TABLE! You built that? I wish I had the talent and patience to do something similar.

Ok...now that I praised your work....

Everything I've ever seen about aging/distressing furniture involved chains, hammers, a propane torch, and maybe a box cutter. I've also heard of using a hammer and finish nails to simulate worm holes. Then you apply a stain and wipe it off. The areas that penetrate the surface or hammer marks will take the stain differently. A cut or hole will be darker and the compressed areas from a hammer or chain will absorb less.

Old 06-15-12, 03:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

You might have a hard time finding someone with experience finishing cyprus. I've coated cyprus siding a few times but never any cyprus furniture. What I remember about cyprus siding is it doesn't much like taking stain. I suspect whatever you use for a finish will wind up being some type of rubbing oil.

A wire brush or rough sandpaper will open it up some to give you the different colors - just make sure you go with the direction of the grain. Any scratches or grooves going cross grain would be unsightly.

Old 06-16-12, 05:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I know it sounds extreme, but the weather is cypress' best friend. It will naturally age to a great gray patina. My only concern is the glue you used and the type fasteners. Usually you will use an exterior glue and stainless fasteners so they won't degrade. Oh, nice job.

Old 06-18-12, 07:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
Why would you want to make something so pretty look beat to h3!!?

Sorry, I just don't understand the appeal of the 'distressed' look....