restaining furniture

Old 06-22-12, 08:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
restaining furniture

I inherited my Nanny's hutch after she died and I have had it stored for years. I recently moved it to my apartment but the color of the wood does not match my darker espresso colored furniture. I would like to stain it a darker color but I don't know how to go about doing this. I am not a do-it-myself girl so is there an easy way to get this thing darker?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-12, 09:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
The easy way would be to have someone else do it

There are 2 ways to make it darker;
you can use a chemical stripper to remove most of the existing finish and then sand it. Once you are down to raw wood you can then apply the stain of your choice followed by 2-3 coats of poly.
The other method involves making sure any wax is removed and the current finish scuff sanded. You would then apply 1 or more coats of a tinted poly [like minwax's polyshades] Care must be used when applying tinted poly, drips, runs, lap marks, etc will all be darker than the rest, missed or thin areas will be lighter - tinted poly can't be touched up. Once the color is right you'd apply a coat of clear poly to protect the color from wear.

Old 06-22-12, 11:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 59 Posts
I would steer away from the tinted poly - while it seems easier, you're more likely to have problems this way. I would strip and then restain and refinish.