Table and Glass Top.... Spacers?

Old 06-23-12, 09:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Table and Glass Top.... Spacers?

I recently bought a nice table for my kitchen and decided I wanted to protect the top with a piece of glass. I put some round plastic disc (spacers) between the glass and wood. When I took the glass off to clean and polish the wood the spacers left marks on the table. After some research, I think it is due to plasticizer migration (google it). The glass company gave me these spaces, but perhaps didnt know that they may not be the right thing to use.

My questions are:
1) What is appropriate to use as spacers? Would felt disc or cork discs work be a better option to prevent problems?

2) How can I fix the spots that these spacers caused.

Thanks for all replies.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-12, 12:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 293 Posts
I like felt spacers. They don't have the chemicals that a rubber or plastic spacer might have and I think they breath a bit which might be better for the wood underneath.

As for the spots left by your plastic spacers I would first do nothing. Leave the glass off for a month or use felt spacers in different locations than the previous spacers. Some woods & finishes gradually change color with their exposure to the air and light. Hopefully the spots will disappear on their own.

I have un-stained American Cherry hardwood floors in my house. When I first put the floors down it was very light in color but over time it's darkened to a warm honey color. Everywhere we have an area rug or piece of furniture the wood underneath is a different color. Over the course of a month the ghost slowly fades until you can not tell it was ever there.