How Can I paint vanished furniture witout stripping, sanding?

Old 06-30-12, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How Can I paint vanished furniture witout stripping, sanding?

I have some nice wooden old furniture that are in really good condition as it is in brown. Problem is, our new place wont be that old fashioned all dark brown wood look. so I dont want to sell my stuff but keep it becuase its chippendale style but I want to give it a new fresh bright look.

is there really a way to prime and paint over vanish and polished wood without is chipping after the work is done? The pieces I have are quite ornate with lots of curves and ornamental designs on the doors. I will like to paint it light colors and stray from the traditional all dark wood look all over the house. I wont be painting all of it but a few of the bigger pieces. Please help. Tks.

Last edited by pomeranianlover; 06-30-12 at 04:46 PM. Reason: forgot something
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-12, 04:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

It's always best to sand even if it's just enough to scuff sand the surface - it's helps with adhesion.
You'll want to make sure that any/all wax has been removed then apply a coat of solvent based primer. The primer can be top coated with oil base, waterborne or latex enamel. Oil base and waterborne enamels dry to a harder film = will wear longer.

Old 07-01-12, 05:47 AM
Make sure you give a thorough dusting after you've sanded and before you put any primer on as well.

Old 07-02-12, 09:31 AM
Thank you, so there is NO way to evade sanding then?. I also have Two Ikea schranks I bought for the bath. They are really nice and just the wrong color now. They do not make this model again. I find this to be one of Ikea's prettiest bathroom cupboard. How can I pain over this prebboard Ikea coated thing? Its like a film of plastic or artificial something.

Oh, and I bought this pain yesterday, it said High Gloss, so I assumed it was oil based, only to find out its water based but high gloss. How can this be? Will this stick to the furniture I plan to paint? I already mixed some color in it, so I cant take it back.

Last edited by pomeranianlover; 07-02-12 at 09:33 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 07-02-12, 09:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 59 Posts
High gloss and water based are fine. Use an oil based primer over the varnish once you sand and you can then use latex or oil based paint.

As to your Ikea problem, I'm not sure what you have for a surface but a scuff sand followed by an oil based primer and then your choice of top coats will likely suffice again (I'm actually eating leftover Ikea meatballs right now but I've personally never set foot in one of the stores to know much about their furniture).

Old 07-02-12, 09:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Enamels and all their different sheens come in latex, oil base and waterborne [even more if you get into industrial coatings] like Mitch said, your latex high gloss enamel will adhere to the primer. Latex enamels don't adhere well to oil base enamels but the oil primer bridges that gap

You don't have to do a perfect job of sanding but the more the previous coating is scuffed up, the better the primer will adhere.

Old 07-03-12, 01:20 PM
LOL, so where did you get those meat balls from? the Ikea furniture is made with recycled wood and then coated with a film of pvc or some kind vinyl coating. For the most part its quite durable. But I have never personally painted any of it before. I went to Ikea today, they do not have this model again, i really like it a lot and its in tact just the wrong color now. I wont be vanishing. I will be removing the vanish and want to paint. the paint I got is water based and is two in one, primer and paint all together so no need for an undercoat according to the MFG instructions. Should I still put one?

Old 07-03-12, 01:23 PM
The paint is swingcolor, not sure you have that over there but its a very good brand of paint and its two in one. Not sure if to still get an additional primer.

Old 07-03-12, 01:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 59 Posts
Personally, I believe primer and paint have separate jobs requiring different ingredients and therefore neither will work well in the same product so I have never used an all in one product. So, I would use a different paint with a separate primer but that's just me.

Also, if the surface is plastic or pvc or vinyl, my thought would be to scuff sand and then use an oil based primer first, you could use latex or oil based paint over that. So, in this case, I don't like your product because it would be a latex primer (assuming it is one in the first place) when I would prefer an alkyd. My paint choice would then be a waterborne enamel.

The meatballs came from Ikea - I just am not the one who went into the store and bought them.

Old 07-03-12, 03:33 PM
the Ikea furniture is made with recycled wood and then coated with a film of pvc or some kind vinyl coating.
It is most likely melamine.

Old 07-30-12, 12:55 PM
Hi guys. I made this thread and then lost the page and link and passowrd log in. So now I am online looking for the same information and reading this thead I said, but this post sounds like mine LOL, to realize it was me. Must be experiencing another blonde moment here:HF2:

Anyhow, I have not done any of my projects. I am now going to proceed to scruff up the vanished pieces with 180 and 320 sandpaper. Is this good enough?`then I got an oil based primer and then high gloss oil paint. I mixed the color int he water based high lack paint and will just chuck it up to bad experience. I bought black which is already finished and will try to use a spray gun to blast the paint in three steps on the pieces.

I also want to know how to repaint an ornate antique gold moulded panting frame. Do I need to remove the gold stuff or I can just blast off some paint with the spray thing?

Old 07-30-12, 12:58 PM
Melamine is quite hard, this is also in the USA. You see a lot of furniture now especially the EU styles they all have this kind of material. It looks quick chic

Old 07-30-12, 03:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
180 grit should be fine, no need to use 320 grit.

I mixed the color int he water based high lack paint and will just chuck it up to bad experience

What type of spray gun do you have? What is the gold frame made of?