Freestanding Alcove Seating Help

Old 07-13-12, 09:15 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Freestanding Alcove Seating Help

Hi Everyone, I'm very new to the forums and custom furniture building so please forgive me if I ask any basic questions.

I have experience building from plans but not modifying a plan to make it larger or smaller. In particular, I attempting to create a seating area/book nook for my daughter based on the one in this link. However, the space I will be using is an alcove and I would prefer to create a freestanding seating area that can be moved and does not require hammering into the walls. I was thinking that I could possibly modify this bench to fit the 56"W x 27"D alcove but I want to make sure I'm going to have proper support.

I have Google Sketchup installed and I would appreciate any advice on how I can make this bench and have it support an adults weight and the antics of a rambunctious 2 year old.

Thank You in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-12, 09:25 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Are you planning to paint the bench? If so, I would consider replacing the 1x12" with plywood. I would think the current design would hold up with one more support added in the middle to allow for the increased width of the bench (so three instead of two).

Old 07-13-12, 11:02 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, I'm going to paint it white like the one in the picture. Thank You for the info!

Old 07-14-12, 05:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
If a bookcase is not absolutely necessary, but internal storage is, then you may can build something like this. I built this for a client as part of a bookshelf/entertainment center. The back and sides are breadboarded with cedar lining. It can sit independently without the shelving unit above it.

Attachment 1874

Attachment 1875