Exterior wooden storage Paint/stain question

Old 08-13-12, 11:33 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exterior wooden storage Paint/stain question

I built a wooden storage for my trash cans. I planned to paint it with an exterior paint/colored stain. However, I made the mistake of applying a waterproofer to it first. The instructions do say I can paint after wards, but I have to use oil based. Now, what I didnt realize, I find it hard to find any oil based exterior wood paint.

Should I use some type of stripper to take off the waterpoofer or is there a place that has a decent assortment of oil based paint for wood?

For clarification, this is what I used for waterproofing:

Wood Armor 1-Gal. Waterproofer Natural-GHWN13 at The Home Depot

Old 08-13-12, 01:57 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 873 Upvotes on 764 Posts
You can find oil base exterior paint at most any paint store [not a paint dept in a bigger store]

I'd apply an exterior oil base wood primer and then top coat with latex paint. If the wood is slick finish it wouldn't hurt to give it a light sanding first.

Old 08-13-12, 02:22 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Just saw your post and pic in your hardware thread and I wouldn't paint that roof - I'm afraid it will be a peeling nightmare. You'd probably be better off either letting the sealer wear off or stripping it and then use a deck stain for the top. Primer/paint would be ok for the sides and doors, just not the roof.

Old 08-13-12, 02:45 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks. Never thought of just adding oil based primer first, which seems easier to find thats for sure.

Marksr, couldnt I use something like this for all of it: 8 oz. Semi-Transparent Deck, Fence, & Siding Wood Stain Sample-508816 at The Home Depot

Of course, that is acrylic, so perhaps that wont work if I primed it.

Old 08-14-12, 04:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You can apply a solid stain over primer but not a semi-transparent or translucent. I'm not real familiar with Behr coatings but they don't have a great reputation. Generally you'll find your best coatings [advice too] at your local paint store.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: