How to best change color of cabinet

Old 08-27-12, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to best change color of cabinet

Want to go from a light oak to a darker oak (brown or black). Disregard the styles, going mostly for color change. Not sure I will be able to go into all the crevices to clean that out. Is sand?? blasting possible?

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-12, 02:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
Ugh. I wouldn't want that job.

You probably need to strip or sand down to bare wood, which you know ain't gonna be easy.

For small changes, tinted poly can be an option but I don't see that working here.

Old 08-27-12, 03:47 PM
Were you specifically wanting to keep a "stained" finish on the darker version? That's the issue that might make this job impossibly difficult. Otherwise, if you'd be happy going with a solid color on the new piece, I think the job is doable. Short of sanding the whole thing down to bare wood (which I don't think is worth the trouble), this kind of job is all about getting a new finish to adhere to an old finish. Lots of ways to do that. Sometimes just lightly sanding the old is enough to make it "sticky." Then try using a shellac-based primer, which does a nice job of making seemingly incompatible finishes compatible with each other.

Old 08-27-12, 04:15 PM
I don't necessarily want "stained" again and I supposed a painted surface will work fine. Will practice on a test piece first of course, but these cabinets are in our master bathroom, his and hers on opposite sides, so will be doing them in place "UGH" if possible. The shellac-based primer, is it the color of shellac, white, clear or??? Can this be sprayed on? Will probably remove doors and drawers to the garage for that, and hand brush the frame? Assume after drying, light sanding/application again, how many times before final coat. Water based final or ?? (I think I used up my allotment of questions for the day) :-) Tx

Old 08-27-12, 04:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
Pigmented shellac primers [like Zinnser's BIN] are white, I don't remember if they can be tinted

What I'd experiment with if it was me - mixing flat black oil base paint with oil base varnish/poly [probably equal amounts] and 'paint' a test section with that. 1-2 coats will probably get the color/look you want, finish with a clear coat of oil based poly/varnish.

Proper prep includes sanding, you don't need to sand it all off, just scuff up all the finish.

Old 08-27-12, 05:47 PM
GULP!!!! That stuff is not cheap at the BigPaint Store; Trying the Orange BB store tomorrow(13.45/quart). Tx for that suggestion on half & half.

Attached Images  
Old 08-28-12, 05:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What is that pricing for

Just noticed you are in Apopka, I used to live on the other end of the county in Bithlo.

Old 08-28-12, 06:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
Yeah, what exactly is that pricing you posted?

Old 08-28-12, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 34 Posts
It's either a joke or a BIG mistake! Or it applies to stores like Home Depot that would buy a zillion gallons of it.

Zinsser 5G Clear B-I-N Primer Sealer (Commercial Address Delivery Only) 5Pk=25G - ZSR-249190 - BigPaintStore.Com

Old 08-28-12, 01:23 PM
Its a joke to me at least. I typed zinsser BIN in google and that is what I got. Tried to figure it out and gave up. Zinser 5G = 5 Gallons??? 5PK=25 Gallons??? Shadeladie's got the correct link in the above post, so its either a mistake or I don't know what I am looking at It was a big GULP to me.

Old 08-28-12, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 34 Posts
Mike1555 if you go to any paint store, including HD and Lowes, you'll get a gallon of that for maybe $20 or so. (Can't remember the exact price).
Trust me, it's not anywhere in the thousands. I'm sure that's a major error on that web site.

Old 08-28-12, 04:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Shadie's correct, Zinnser's primers are available at most paint stores and most big box paint depts. BIN comes in an aerosol can, quarts and gallons. Don't know if I've ever seen it in 5's...... but then that would be more stinky shellac than I'd want to deal with at one time anyway

I don't remember pricing either but generally 2 quarts cost just a hair less than 1 gallon. Zinnser's pricing is in line with other quality primers.

Probably ought to add that if you decide to use the BIN, it doesn't clean up with paint thinner, you need denatured alcohol to clean your brush.

Old 08-29-12, 01:55 PM
Great tip on the denatured alcohol!!

Just for the heck of it, I added Qty of 1 into the shopping cart. Got an error :NO NO NO: "You have exceeded the maximum order value"