Uneven wood tone under drawer pulls!

Old 10-09-12, 07:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Uneven wood tone under drawer pulls!

Newbie here!
I just removed drawer pulls from an old "honey-color" stained dresser and the wood under it is lighter than the rest. I stripped the dresser then sanded it with my orbital sander & sand paper.

I plan on using a wood conditioner then applying a few coats of Minwax gel stain in Hickory for a deep espresso look.

I'm afraid that these lighter wood "circles" left from the old drawer pulls will still be seen! Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-12, 10:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Do you plan to replace the drawer pulls with ones of similar size? How did you strip the old finish? with a chemical stripper? What type of wood is the dresser made of?

Generally wood conditioner isn't needed on hardwood or wood that has had a previous finish removed.

Old 10-09-12, 03:05 PM
New drawer pulls don't match up so need to drill some new holes. I used a chemical stripper and not sure what type of wood it is...I guess I'll just try it out and if it's bad, sand it off and try to look for plan B?

Old 10-09-12, 05:27 PM
The old hardware probably left actually indentations around the rim of the circle. It's unlikely you will be able to eliminate that. The reason it is a different color is because the wood underneath the hardware was not able to oxidize the way the exposed would did. Over time, you may find these circles will darken, but the probably will never be invisible. The dark stain is probably going to do the most for you in evening out that color difference. Let us know hot it goes.

Don't forget that the issue you are having is the nature of the beast. While you will improve the look of your piece, it is unlikely you will ever get it to look brand new.

Old 10-10-12, 02:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
Multiple coats of stain is generally a bad idea - stain works by soaking into the wood and subsequent coats will not be able to since the first will have sealed the wood pretty well. Best is to pick a darker stain in the first place so you get the color you want in one coat.