Old Cargo Furniture Help Please

Old 10-14-12, 02:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old Cargo Furniture Help Please

Hello,

I have a room full of older Cargo brand furniture. This is the stuff you buy that's unfinished and you can either use it like that or finish/paint it. Well this stuff has been stained a VERY dark color. Like a deep dark brown not quite black. It does not appear to have had any poly or cover, just the stain.

I am needing to strip this to paint a more pleasing lighter color. Wondering what the best way to do this is? A search of the web always points to chemical stripper but I dont see that those would strip away the stain right? Just strip away a laquer or poly coat? I need to get closer to the unfinished wood color.

I have tried a palm sander and some 80 grit sandpaper on one peice and it seems to work ok but not great. Should I be using a belt sander for this? It has no decorative edges (being Cargo furniture). Just not sure how to do this.

Many thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-12, 02:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
Welcome to the forums

Yep, you need to strip this. I like strippers with MEK in them but that stuff is nasty, a citrus stripper should work and be a lot less ugly to deal with. As you've seen, it takes way too long to sand this kind of stuff but be prepared for some finish sanding after you scrape off the stripper and old finish.

Old 10-14-12, 03:28 PM
If you are going to paint, you don't need to remove the stain.

Old 10-14-12, 03:45 PM
Group Moderator
Didn't catch the word "paint" the first time through, I assumed you were staining again. Assuming you actually intend to paint, Drooplug is right and you would not need to strip the existing finish, just remove any wax, scuff sand, apply an oil based primer and then paint (might not even need the primer but I'm paranoid enough I'd use one).

Old 10-15-12, 05:53 AM
Paint was mis-stated. The reality is I want to stain a lighter color than it was.

So the stripper will actually pull the color out of the wood? I was thinking it would only strip of a hard shell type finish. This is just a dull matte finish from someone rubbing stain into unfinished wood.

Old 10-15-12, 05:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
Stain can be hard to remove Stripper will help. It might also help to scrub the wood with a rag wet with lacquer thinner or MEK.

Old 10-15-12, 06:18 AM
Group Moderator
Yep, if you want a stained surface and what you have now is darker than what you want, you need to strip what's there.