Pizza Box Stain

Old 01-27-01, 01:31 AM
Visiting Guest
Post Pizza Box Stain

Looking for a household hint for the fresh classic pizza box stain on a finished hardwood coffee table ? Happened tonight, leaving a smoky white stain on my mid to darker gloss stained table. Stain seems to reside below the surface of the finishing.

Old 01-27-01, 05:48 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Make a paste of baking soda and water. Apply this with a damp sponge to the affected area, rubbing gently but firmly. Wipe clean when haze is gone. Go over the entire top with Turtkle Wax Polishing Compound and Scratch Remover for an even sheen

Old 01-27-01, 05:07 PM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Do NOT seal it with wax, unless the stain is gone. If the baking soda does not work, try coating it with mayonaisse, and let it set over night. Clean the next day, and I expect the ring will be gone.

Old 07-29-06, 08:50 AM
kskilskyj
Visiting Guest
How long?

Bring back an old thread...

Does anyone know how long to leave the baking sode/water mixture on the wood surface before removing? I left it there for about 3 minutes, then removed, and didn't notice any difference.

Any thoughts? Or other options for removing this type of stain?

I have not tried the overnight mayonaise suggestion yet.

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 07-29-06, 09:33 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The original posters stain was caused by the heat of the box.(sucked moisture up through the poly/shellac) It damaged the top finish. My guess is that they had to sand and resurface the table. Try the Mayo and see what happens. Good luck.

Old 09-16-06, 12:10 PM
N
mayo, baking soda, peanut butter?

Hi folks. I have exactly the same issue. I have tried peanut butter (thinking the oil would help), egg, mayo, and then I tried the baking soda trick. The baking soda did nothing but leave a hudge area that looks like all the glossy finish is gone. Someone suggested using an iron and a piece of newsprint to warm the area and draw the moisture back out of the finish into the paper. Any comments on that. I really don;t want to refinish the table. Thanks, Norm

Old 09-16-06, 01:03 PM
B
sounds like your finish failed

Try this test. go get some lacquer thinner and put a little on a rag and wipe the a small area. if it goes away while the thinner is wet and comes back after it dries, your finish has failed. the only way to get rid of it is to refinish. sand as much as possible off then apply another finish.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: