Apply sanding sealer on top of primer

Old 11-10-12, 01:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Apply sanding sealer on top of primer

I'm refinishing some el-cheapo oak cabinets that came with my house. I sanded then applied Benjamin Moore Advance Primer which is waterborne to the wood but it didn't fill the grain.

I have some Kelly-Moore 2783 Clear Vinyl Sealer and it cleans up with lacquer thinner. Can I use this over the top of that primer or do I need a water based sealer?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-12, 05:19 AM
I don't know if it can be put on top or not, but there is no reason to use sanding sealer over the primer. If you want to fill the pores, you can use a grain filler or apply more coats of primer until the pores are all filled in.

Old 11-10-12, 05:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
I agree! Oak has an open grain that isn't easily filled with primer/paint. Probably the easiest/quickest way to fill the grain would be to apply a thin coat of joint compound and then sand it all off - except what is in the grain, then dust and reprime.

While an oil base sanding sealer would go over the waterborne ok [won't help] a lacquer based sealer would have the propensity to 'melt' and/or wrinkle the underlying primer

Old 11-10-12, 06:32 AM
Ah, ok. I figured that the sealer I had would bubble the primer.

I was also misinformed about the use of sanding sealer then. I'll get a grain filler to fill those pits in the grain and then re-prime on top of it.

Many thanks!

Old 11-10-12, 06:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The purpose of sanding sealer is to raise and and seal the grain so once it's sanded, the next coats of finish won't need but a scuff sanding. If you apply varnish to the raw or stained wood, it won't raise the grain as much and is harder to sand. Sanding sealer dries softer than varnish or most other clear finishes.

Old 11-11-12, 08:49 AM
So I applied the joint compound as my grain filler and it filled it perfectly. I'm amazed because I would never have ever thought to use plaster on anything other than drywall but its right there on the label that nobody ever reads.

The question now is should I sand the compound completely off so that only the grain holes have compound left in them or is it ok to leave a very thin layer of the compound on the surface of the wood?

Old 11-11-12, 10:06 AM
I would sand back to the wood so only the pores are filled. Ideally, you would have put the joint compound on and scraped as much of it off as you could. In these types of situations, it is easier to go back and reapply some more than it is to sand the excess material.

Old 11-12-12, 05:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, I always apply the j/c real thin trying to avoid any build up and then sand back down to the wood which leaves the j/c only in the grain. Works well - I've been using this method on and off for 40 yrs

Leaving a layer of j/c over the wood isn't a good idea as it is the weakest link, any abuse given to the wood could cause the j/c to chip. No problems if the j/c is only in the open pores of the wood.