Is ther a limit to diluting paint

Old 11-11-12, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is ther a limit to diluting paint

Is there a limit to how much you can dilute a water based paint before it starts affecting the final result?

I want to use my Earlex 5500 to spray on primer and then a semi-gloss paint on a project but the earlex is an HVLP which requires a very low viscosity and is going to require a lot of diluting.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-12, 10:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately, the manual is not very helpful as far as viscosity goes. They do offer different size needle and nozzle sizes. I recommend getting their 2.5 mm needle and nozzle if you don't already have it. They do not give a viscosity recommendation for the different sizes. Do as the manual says and start with 10% dilution and work your way up.

You may also want to consider floetrol instead of water. It is a latex paint conditioner and is supposed to help with spraying the paint.

To answer your question directly, you should call the paint manufacturer if it is not already stated on the can. Floetrol says not to dilute more than 25% using their product. I know with other water based coatings I have sprayed, they say the same thing. If you go beyond that amount, I think the biggest affect on the paint is that you will have less coverage. I don't think the integrity of the final film will be affected. As I said before, best to call the manufacturer.

Old 11-12-12, 05:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 169 Votes on 150 Posts
Most paint manufactures don't want their coatings thinned more than 10% Thin paint both reduces it's coverage and wear properties. Spraying changes things some. If only 1 coat is applied, then 10-15% is the max but if you apply multiple coats [wet not separate coats drying in between] The trick is getting enough paint on the substrate without having it run. Often multiple coats 5 minutes or so apart will solve that issue.