Paint floating panel kitchen cabinet door

Old 11-13-12, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Paint floating panel kitchen cabinet door

I want to paint my kitchen cabinets to help improve the re-sale value of my home. (about to sell in 3 months) However Iíve read posts and have run into the same issue as everyone else with the panel moving and cracking the paint. At this point Iím working on a test door and have only put on the primer but I can see the cracks all the way around the panel. One post recommended putting caulk in the edges of panel and then doing final painting over that. Has anyone had success with that solution or am I in a losing battle? It would suck to do all this work only to have every cabinet crack and actually lower the re-sale value.

The cabinets are made of oak and are currently stained. The floating panel is a flat very thin plywood with a red oak veneer on the front. I don't think the panel will move very much but just enough to develop a thin crack. Tried to include image but it keeps throwing this error "this gif image has the incorrect file extension".. even though I'm uploading a jpg.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-12, 03:15 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
From the backside, try squeezing a little elmers glue (one that dries clear) around the perimeter of the panel to hold it in place. You can then run a very fine bead of clear caulk on the front side. Avoid anything that says silicone on it, get a paintable (very important) Clear Adhesive Kitchen and Bath Caulk. The clear caulk goes on white, and dries clear.

Old 11-13-12, 04:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Oak has a fairly open grain and can be an issue when painting..... but that would be constant throughout the wood. If the crack is where the panel meets the frame, caulking will help. I'm not fond of caulking the panels as they generally expand/contract some during the year. No need to use a clear caulk for painting, most any white latex caulk will work. The best caulk will be called siliconized acrylic latex caulk - it's paintable.

Old 11-13-12, 05:08 PM
Do not use glue and do not caulk the panel. When the panel moves it will pull the caulk out and look terrible. I have seen this happen. My recommendation would be to make sure you do not allow the paint to build up in the corner where the panel meets the stile. You don't want the paint to form a bridge across that crack. I would apply the paint to the door and then go back with the brush and brush the paint out of that area.

Old 11-13-12, 05:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 298 Votes on 271 Posts
I agree with drooplug and would add that glue on the panel edges can in some cases cause the glue joints of the panel to split open as the panel tries to expand and contract.

Old 11-14-12, 08:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
The panel is floating for a reason - as X and drooplug stated, tacking it in place will cause problems.

Old 11-14-12, 11:12 AM
Consider a thin paint that doesn't build a thick film like latex does. Milk paint is popular now & should soak into the gap rather than bridge it. Then when the frame shrinks or swells (the plywood panel is more stable & won't change size) it will only expose more paint.