Office Chair Plywood Questions


Old 11-18-12, 06:59 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 4
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Office Chair Plywood Questions

I removed the seat of an office chair and took off the plastic underneath, the fabric, and the foam. On the underside of the plywood I see all these brown spots. Is this likely mold? What would be the best way to kill/treat it?

Also, if I want to just build a new piece, what's the best way to curve a new piece of plywood into a similar shape? What are these metal pieces called that go into the wood and hold a bolt coming from the base? Do I just drill a hole and then hammer those in?
Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-12, 07:15 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 54,518
Received 505 Votes on 475 Posts
Do I just drill a hole and then hammer those in?
Yup.....and they're called tee-nuts.
Attached Images  
Old 11-19-12, 04:44 AM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 39,967
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Make sure you hammer them in from the opposite side as the pull.........but you knew that.
Old 11-19-12, 05:28 AM
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 614
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Those seat panels are glued up layer by layer and molded in a press. It can be done in a home workshop by an experienced woodworker working on a fine piece but it's not worth the time and effort to repair an office chair. I don't know if that is mold, it could be glue bleed through from the molding process.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: