Painting MDF (particle board) with acrylic paint?

Old 11-26-12, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting MDF (particle board) with acrylic paint?

I used DecoArt Paint Adhesion Medium and then just some DecoArt All-Purpose Acrylic paint to paint over the cheap ugly laminate on my coffee table. It was a a freebie that was in someone's garage for over 15years, so it was badly stained on top. I figured the paint adhesion medium that was mixed in would help the paint adhere to the plastic.

Supposedly that stuff claims to:
Enables acrylic paint to adhere to any slick surface such as: plastics, metal, wax, soap, glass, porcelain, glazed ceramics and more.
when mixed in 50/50 with the acrylic paint.

One time I used just regular acrylic paint on MDF and it held for 3-4 years but eventually started to peel off badly. I'm hoping this won't do the same.

So far my coffee table is holding up for the last 6months, and has a flat brown color to it, I'm thinking of sponging on some silver acrylic just to give it a little more interest.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-12, 03:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
Is there a question in there somewhere

I'm not familiar with those coatings but using the correct primer is the key to repainting furniture. Normally that means a solvent based primer followed by your choice of top coat. If the paint you used doesn't have a sheen you'll probably want to apply a coat of clear poly to protect both the brown and your sponged on paint. It will help protect the table from wear although it won't help with any adhesion issues under it. It doesn't matter what sheen of poly you use.

Old 11-26-12, 06:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 201 Posts
Particle board and MDF are two completely different materials. Not sure which you are asking about?

Primer is important when painting any substrate, but MDF is very slick, and you would definitely want to prime it first with a sandable primer. If the MDF wasn't primed, that would probably be the reason it peeled.

Old 11-27-12, 04:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
I missed the reference to particle board
It's my assumption that the table already has a factory finish..... but a primer is still needed in order for the new paint to bond to the factory finish.