Turning a chunk of wood, 6" square X 18"?

Old 12-08-12, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Turning a chunk of wood, 6" square X 18"?

I have a Jet variable speed floor lathe, and am in the process of making a model. I want to turn a CONE, yep, like an ICE CREAM CONE. It will be approx. 4-1/2" in diameter at top, and taper to a point 14"-15" down stream. It won't be hollowed out.

My question is would Aspen wood be a good choice as it's soft, and light weight?

I would glue up several slabs to get to the starting point, then run thru my table saw to knock off a lot of the corner material before turning on my lathe.

I will coat the finished product with PPG heavy fill primer, then sand to an super smooth finish before painting with automotive paints.

I'm a experience wood worker, just haven't turned any Aspen wood, so HELP is WELCOME.

Thank You,

Dale in Indy

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-12, 03:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Dale, I don't get the opportunity to work with Aspen, but from others I understand it is a softer wood and should turn fairly good. Like you said, be sure to knock off as much of the "squareness" as possible. I know you know how to set your rest, so I won't go into it. Let us know how it goes. Pix help.