polyurethane over lacquer finish

Old 02-01-01, 05:27 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

i started to lacquer a cherry entertainment center that i built. i stained it and applied one coat of deft fast dry finish, it ate into the stain and left some light and dark spots. i used lacquer thinner and restained bad areas. i got stain nice and even again. can i put polyurathane over top to finish the project or will it react with the left over lacquer?

Old 02-04-01, 11:04 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Chris:

Bottom line is "I don't know". Some poly can be applied over a number of other products, some can't. If you can find one that allows shellac as a sealer undercoat, chances are it will work in your application.

You appear to be a fastidious person who wants to do the job right - somewhat like me. If it were mine and I wanted to change finishes in mid-stream, so to speak, I'd think about stripping the piece and going again.

Barring that, try the poly on an out of the way place, such as the back of the interior that will be hidden when the piece is in use. Let your results there be your guide.

In any event, the areas that still have a full coat of lacquer will need to be sanded for proper adhesion of the new finish. Lacquer 'remelts' the pervious coat to bond with it - polyurethane doesn't.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: