need some help staining cabinets.

Old 01-22-13, 02:43 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
need some help staining cabinets.

Hello new here.

So I attempted to stain my kitchen cabinets.

First, I sanded with 100 grit, then sanded with 220.

I bought some Minwax red sedona oil stain and applied to kitchen cabinets. I brushed it on, waited 15 minutes, then wiped with a cloth.

I am getting blotchy results. Don't know the type of wood.

What am I doing wrong?

Attached Images  
Old 01-22-13, 02:56 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 740 Upvotes on 646 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Are these new never finished cabinets? or did they previously have a finish on them?

Sanding rarely takes off all of an existing finish. Generally it's best to use a chemical stripper followed by sanding.

Old 01-22-13, 04:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,707 Upvotes on 1,531 Posts
I think Marksr is probably right on the money. The old finish is still on the doors, blocking the stain from soaking in.

In my experience, you don't want to wait 15 minutes to wipe any minwax stain, or it will get so sticky that you won't be ABLE to wipe it. I think you better rinse that stain off with some paint thinner before its completely dry. Use lacquer thinner if the stain won't come off.

Also, when sanding, you don't jump from 100 grit to 220. There are several grades in between. 120, 150, 180. Sanding to 150 is generally the highest you need to go. Any higher and many woods will refuse to accept stain. I'm guessing that you may not be happy with the finished product no mater what you do. Kitchen cabinet companies use a different kind of stain and finish that gives the cabinets a more even and consistent finish. The species of wood becomes less important because a lot of the color is in the finish. I hope you have good results with your stain.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: