I got water in between a glass tabletop and a wood dining room table.

Old 08-03-12, 07:39 AM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I got water in between a glass tabletop and a wood dining room table.

The glass tabletop protects a wood dining room table. The water is causing discoloration underneath the glass. I tried to push gently down on the glass. I was able to push some of the water out that way. I also tried to put a few quarters between the glass and the wood, and then used a shop vac to try and suck out the water. I only sucked out a little. Then I used the shop vac to blow out the water and disperse it some more.

I am by myself, so I have no one who could help me remove the glass tabletop. What else can I do to try and remove this water?

Thank you for your advice.

Old 08-03-12, 07:50 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Keep the top elevated and set up a fan to blow across the opening.

Old 08-03-12, 07:53 AM
U
Using a fan is a good idea. Thank you.

Old 08-03-12, 01:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Once you get all the water dried up, be sure to remove any support (quarters) that you placed under it, as the glass is weakest in the middle and even slight pressure there will distort it to cracking.

Old 08-03-12, 02:04 PM
U
Thank you for the heads up about removing the quarters. Initially I thought this glass cover was a great idea, now I am wondering if I should have thought a little more about this.

Old 08-04-12, 09:05 AM
Glass covers over good wood usually don't reap good benefits. It is much easier to toss out trivets for wet glasses with instructions to use them or have them fed to you forcefully
The wood can always be waxed or kept clean to reveal it's own beauty.

Old 01-16-13, 04:34 AM
G
Similar (almost) problem

Personally I would like to stop the water penetrating underneath the glass top in order to protect the wood from staining at all. Some people said that I might use some silicon parts in order to elevate slightly the glass top and that would prevent the water drops to get underneath. Could you please spare any thoughts and suggestions

Old 01-16-13, 08:07 AM
Welcome to the forums, all the way from Greece! Doing as you say won't stop the water from getting under the glass, but it will provide air circulation so it will dry up. Personally I don't like glass on wood. I like wood, and keep it waxed and yell at people who are inconsiderate enough to put a wet glass on it and not use a coaster.

Old 01-16-13, 10:16 AM
S
A couple of ideas come to mind. You can put either felt dots or a crocheted cloth under the glass. The glass will protect the cloth. Like others have said, glass on wood is not a good idea. As suggested already, a good coat of wax periodically is best.
Since you are alone, turn the glass sideways (assuming that your table is rectangular) to clean off one end of the table. Slide it to the other end of the table while it is turned. Lifting at any time is a set up for glass breakage. If you use felt dots, you want to put them in the middle area of the glass with even distribution of them so that the weight of the glass has even support all over. This will raise the glass to allow air to flow between the glass and table.

Old 01-16-13, 10:54 PM
G
Thank you for your replies. I have to say that the table is not mine. I am just the poor guy who got married the daugher of my mother in law. I will use the felt dots at start and see what happens. The crocheted cloth is not an option since the wooden table is really beautiful and my mother in law wants to be visible and not hind it.

Best Regards from sunny Greece

Old 02-05-13, 06:03 AM
A
The wood will be damaged more if you let the water stay there for longer time. The best way is to lift the glass and wipe it dry clean. You can also sand the wood and apply a new top coat to protect it from further damage. If you can get someone to help you, that will be the best choice to go for. Otherwise, you can lift one side of the glass and slip on some stopper to lift it to an angle that is safe to wipe the water out and wipe some protective top coat. I think it would be manageable if you work on it an angle at a time.

Old 02-05-13, 05:00 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You should never leave water to sit on any piece of furniture. Having it sit underneath glass will make matters worse. Anytime water gets under the glass, you need to clean it immediately. The best prevention is to wipe up any spills before they get to the edge of the glass.

Do not put wax on your table either. Putting wax on a modern finish is never a good idea. Wax is inferior in performance to most finishes and will turn white if water sits on it for too long. Multiple applications of the wax will also create a thick soft layer that will not be desirable. It will also make future refinishing a nightmare.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: