Staining an already stained Pine table and chairs darker

Old 03-11-13, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Staining an already stained Pine table and chairs darker

I have a dining room set that I got from Pier One 9 yrs ago. I really don't care for the Color of it anymore and would love to modernize it a bit. Maybe a dark Gray stain or if that won't work maybe light. Or can I make it look antique like? I am new with this stuff but would love to be a do-it-yourselfer. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-13, 08:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 274 Posts
The chairs have a finish on them that will repel stain. So forget about that idea.

You could use a tinted poly, such as Polyshades, but I've never been really happy with the results. Spraying multiple light coats of polyshades works best IMO... brushing gives uneven results.

Another idea if you want them to look a bit antiqued, is to visit your local paint store (such as Sherwin Williams) and ask about Sher-wood glazes, which can be tinted to many colors and are made to be applied over existing finishes. They should be able to steer you in the right direction with a product and application that will give you good results. You will probably need to coat the glaze with a final coat of finish to completely seal the glaze. Again, they won't steer you wrong.

Old 03-11-13, 09:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you!!!! I will visit them this week for sure.

Old 03-12-13, 06:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
Polyshades, but I've never been really happy with the results
As noted above, tinted polys can be a little tricky to apply and it's probably easier to get good results by spraying versus brush BUT I've applied it lots of time with a brush and have always had good results. It might not be a good option for someone with limited experience apply poly.

Another option for changing the color is to remove ALL of the existing finish and then applying a new stain followed by 3 coats of poly. Chemical stripping followed by sanding is the best way to remove the existing finish. I don't know much about Pier One furniture but stripping the piece only works good if it's solid wood - veneers aren't always good candidates for stripping.

Whatever method you choose, the folks at your local SWP store should be able to steer you in the right direction.

almost forgot - welcome to the forums!

Old 03-12-13, 07:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
I've had good luck with tinted poly the few times I've used it but I've also been pretty careful when applying it. That said, it can darken the color a bit but not much more than that; if you want a dramatic change in the color (unless what you have is very light and neutral in color now) or to lighten the existing color, stripping and starting over is the best bet.