Please help! Stair finishing problem

Old 03-12-13, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Please help! Stair finishing problem

Hi everybody, long time lurker first time poster, I love this forum. I have been remodeling my house for the last year and a half after it got flooded and am finally almost done. Here is my problem, we installed pine treads and risers. At first we just did a natural water based poly but didn't like that so sanded it and put on oil based poly shades, the stuff that is poly and stain together. They looked great and we used painters tape and that brown paper to cover them up. Well come to find out the tape pulled up the finish, but honestly it didn't appear to be sticking well anyways I'm guessing bc I didn't sand the poly down enough? Anyways sorry for the book, how should I fix this? Use a stripper, then sand the bejesus out of it? Also what should I use in the future for a nice looking and durable finish? Thank you on advance if you read all of that lol

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-13, 05:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Minwax's PolyShades isn't recommended for floor use although that isn't the reason for the peeling. How many coats of the water based poly were applied? How well was it sanded? How many coats and how long did the PolyShades dry before it was covered up with paper and tape?

Sometimes pics help us better understand the issue - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 03-13-13, 08:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
I agree with Mark that Polyshades probably wasn't a good choice. I like the look of pine with three coats of oil based poly on it (oil based poly does provide a little color) but if you want darker or a different color than that, it would be best to stain the wood first and then apply the poly.