How should I refinish veneer on leather wrapped bombe table???

Old 04-04-13, 05:34 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How should I refinish veneer on leather wrapped bombe table???

I bought a Bombe chest coffee table from a second hand store. The lady purchased the table for $1895 and said it was leather. I also contacted the company and they said it was leather too, however it looks like there is a very thin veneer over the top! What I originally thought was paint splatter was actually chips off the painted veneer. There is also a chunk of veneer missing and you can see the leather underneath. My question is, is it possible to somehow stain the chest darker without sanding or could I paint the chest without sanding?

Attached Images   

Last edited by Molly13; 04-04-13 at 06:11 AM.
Old 04-04-13, 05:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

There is no good substitute for sanding! Liquid deglosser helps but still works best when used after sanding. Stain only works with raw unfinished wood. You'd need to chemically strip and then sand before it would be in a stainable state. It is possible to alter a finish's color by applying a tinted poly like Minwax's PolyShades.

Sanding and then a solvent based primer is needed if you intend to paint the piece.

Pics might help us to better understand what you have - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: