Ikea Wood dining table moving outdoors

Old 04-13-13, 07:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ikea Wood dining table moving outdoors

Hey guys,

The place I'm renting has been shared with a group of young professionals for years now, and as a result, when I moved in, we had plenty of additional furniture, beyond what we needed. So I took an ikea dining table (it was painted when it was bought from IKEA) and put it outside. I know it probably won't last long exposed to the elements, but with it already painted, what can I do to weatherize it? It seems paint, at some level, waterproofs wood, but I'm not sure this paint would. What would painting on some kind of sealant or finish do?

What else can I do? Step by step directions are always appreciated as I'm just getting started in DIY world.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-13, 07:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
An exterior paint would help as most furniture type paints aren't formulated for the exterior. Not knowing what type of paint IKEA used, it would probably be best to use an oil base primer first. There is still the issue of how the table was put together, more than likely the glue they used isn't formulated for exterior use.

A tarp would probably afford the best protection.

Old 04-13-13, 09:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
I'd be worried about moisture seeping up into the legs, make sure they're covered as well.

Old 04-13-13, 03:02 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
If like most thing these days, a lot of furniture is not real wood but veneer over some other substrate. If this is the case, I would hold little hope of it surviving for very long exposed to the elements.