Help with converting bookcase to kitchen storage cabinet ...

Old 04-26-13, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help with converting bookcase to kitchen storage cabinet ...

Hi All, new to the forum and am trying to work on taking a solid wood horizontal bookcase and converting it to an upright kitchen storage cabinet with shelving added into the void spots and doors that close on a hinge.

Right now it looks like the picture I sketched out; it is roughly 7 ft long X 28" deep X 36" tall and has 3/4" wood trim I affixed with finish nails and wood glue all along the front exposed edges. (The wood trim is outlined in red so you can get a better idea.) It is also stained a mahogany color and sealed with polyurethane.

My concern is doing the doors and also making it safe/stable enough to stand upright with my food/grocery items stored inside (which means its going to be alot of stuff!). Do I need to add a bigger base or trim or what? I want to make sure it won't fall over on anyone or or our dogs, as we are a family with small children.

I am interested in taking this piece of furniture I have now and using it for another purpose within my home, so your feedback on how to convert this would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I do have woodworking skills, just not a master craftsman.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-13, 01:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
To start; if you cannot do it for less than $210, you might not want to bother.
Hampton Bay 18x84x34 in. Pantry Cabinet in Unfinished Oak-UC182484OHD at The Home Depot

In no way am I an expert, but I do have a few thoughts.
The design of your bookcase is such that its structure is made based on weight going down. Your sketch shows mitered corners, but if they are not, then any fasteners might not be able to support weight going in a different direction.

The bottom of your cabinet may be unfinished and thus unsightly if exposed vertically.

Assuming you go along with your plan;
I suggest fixed shelves to help add stability. Might also want a a toe kick. I'd also find a way to attach it to the wall so it doesn't tip over.

Old 04-26-13, 03:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 138 Posts
Is it feasible to screw this 'cabinet' to the wall or another cabinet? You'll want to raise the bottom off of the floor some - like your other cabinets are. How many doors are you considering?

btw - welcome to the forums!