Can I use wood veneer over top of Formica

Old 04-27-13, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I use wood veneer over top of Formica

Finally getting ready to start the kitchen. The cabinets that are in there are custom built. They have a Formica surface. It's wood grain and actually I like it, but the corners and edges have gotten damaged over the years. I can't find any Formica to match it. (It's looks like hickory)
Can I use a wood veneer over top of the old Formica or am I going to have to rip out everything and start from scratch? Or is there someplace I'm not looking to buy sheet Formica?
I took one of the doors off and took it to the local lumber yard. They looked at me like I was nuts. They said buy pre-built and install those. Before I do that I'll built them myself. The wife likes the flat doors cause they are easier to wipe down. (Kids and sticky fingers)
I was going to add some pics but it keeps telling me they were invalid files. They are all below 50kb so I don't know what the deal is.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-13, 08:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plastic laminate is also manufactured by Wilsonart and probably others I have never heard of. If the edges are chipping, it may be a melamine or other overlay which is much less durable.

Old 04-28-13, 02:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
I would think you would need to remove what's there first if it's chipping or at least fill in the gaps that would leave. Sounds like a lot of work for little gain to me but it's not my house.