What type of finish?

Old 02-10-01, 02:02 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a


I bought an oak table and after eating on it with paper plates or those plastic microwave dinner containers,
we got these white marks. I have used lemon oil and it removes the spots but they always come back when we eat again. I was thinking on coating it with some kind of finish but, I dont Know what to use. I dont Know what type of finish is on it now but it is not working.Any help would be great!!!

Thanks, Mike.
Old 02-10-01, 04:00 PM
George's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: South Hill, Va. USA
Posts: 2,817
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

The finish is most probably lacquer - the white marks are heat marks caused by the plates. A place mat would probably eliminate the problem.

Polyurethane would be a more durable finish and less prone to this type of damage, but you need to strip the top of the table first.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: