Table lost finish when candle wax fell on it

Old 06-27-13, 10:57 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Table lost finish when candle wax fell on it

I'd like to repair this myself. It doesn't need to be perfect, just better than it is now.

Thanks

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-13, 11:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
I'd try scrubbing it with a solvent. maybe try mineral spirits first and if that isn't effective, step up to lacquer thinner. Start of slow, testing a little on one spot first to make sure you don't make things worst. You'll to need to apply a fresh coat of poly once you are done.

Old 06-27-13, 03:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 644 Votes on 596 Posts
The first solvent i'd probably try is denatured alcohol, since it dissolves wax.

Old 06-27-13, 05:31 PM
J
So you are thinking that that the white spots are wax? I think the wax melted the finish. If I am right and the wax did melt the finish, then what do I do next?

Thanks

Old 06-27-13, 05:39 PM
J
Ok, so an oil burner did this damage and the damage took the finish away. I need to repair the finish.

Please help!

Old 06-27-13, 08:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 644 Votes on 596 Posts
I would try the same products that were mentioned... denatured alcohol (to see if the surrounding finish is shellac). If it doesn't seem to soften the original finish surrounding those spots, you would probably then try the lacquer thinner. If that softens the finish, it is probably lacquer. If it doesn't soften the finish right away, or only makes it a little bit sticky when you use more and let it soak in, then it's probably polyurethane. Most store bought furniture will probably have a type of lacquer on them. So if you notice that the lacquer thinner on a cotton ball is starting to pick up some of the color of the table top, keep using the lacquer thinner to melt the original finish and swab it around until it looks fairly even, then leave it alone and let the lacquer thinner evaporate, and the lacquer will reharden.

It could also be an oil based polyurethane... Oil based finishes yellow and darken with age, and it seems like that patina is GONE in those areas. If that's the case (and lacquer thinner doesn't help in the same manner as above,) I think I would be tempted to lightly sand the area with 220 grit sandpaper and try swabbing on a little bit of Bullseye Amber Shellac with a q-tip, and try to blend those spots in with the rest. It may take 2 or 3 coats but I think the color would match pretty close.