New table got water damaged first day.

Old 08-19-13, 06:41 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New table got water damaged first day.

So we bought this table that the lady said was oak but I cant tell the diffrence between different kinds wood so it might not be but anyway my wife left a pot of flowers on the top and now its like bulging in 3-4 spots, is that even possible with oak, and it happend right when i was about to put the wax finish on it tho im not sure if that would of helped. So i there any remedy for this i doubt warrenty will cover it..

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-13, 03:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 43 Posts
"Bulging" would indicate it's a plywood base (or particle board) with a hardwood veneer. Can you post some pics?

Old 08-20-13, 03:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
Sure sounds like a veneer. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 08-20-13, 04:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 43 Posts
Thanks, Mark, I always forget to put the Post Pics link in. I think I'm leaning toward it being particle board base; that would "bulge" a lot faster when exposed to water than plywood.

Old 08-20-13, 04:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I think the main thing is there was a crack/void in the veneer that allowed the water to get under the veneer. The 'base' may or may not be damaged. I'm thinking that just the veneer has raised up .... hopefully pics will give more insight.

Old 08-20-13, 07:01 PM
T
Name:  20130819_205510.jpg
Views: 7766
Size:  23.4 KB

heres what it looks like now, its a little hare to see them. I can post some other ones if it helps, but I'm sure when i bought it they said its hard oak and the table is a little heavy, so now i need to call them and figure this out.

Old 08-21-13, 04:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It looks like a veneer to me. Veneers are fairly common, it allows them to build a piece out of cheaper lumber and cover it with a thin veneer of the nicer wood. Solid oak means solid wood but solid wood can be oak veneer over particle board [wood dust and glue] it can be easy to get 'tricked' into thinking you bought solid oak PB is relatively heavy.

Let us know what the dealer says.

Old 08-21-13, 08:41 PM
M
I have made repairs to bubbling veneer like this before.

Get a syringe, fill it with wood glue diluted just enough so it can flow (depending on the glue, it might not take too much), inject a small amount in the bubble and apply pressure for several hours.

Old 08-22-13, 12:52 PM
D
That's veneer. The water from the pot leaked through and softened the glue underneath allowing the bubbles to appear. If you can't push the bubbles down with your finger, then the substrate which could be particle board or MDF swelled up. If that is the case, it is doubtful you will get the veneer flat again.

Old 08-22-13, 06:07 PM
T
Well i got in contact with the supplier which was united furniture, and they said its a solid oak table, but ill have to call the main office and thats the brick. Now the brick said they can only give me a gift card for the amount we paid for it since it was a 4000dolla set that we paid 1500 because it was a discontinued floor model with some scratches and you take it as it is. But we purchased the master surface coverage for it and that swelling wasent there when we bought it, so i dunno why they wouldnt cover us the full amount..

Old 08-25-13, 05:31 PM
J
Not Solid Wood

I've had salesmen swear to me that tables were solid wood, and when I showed them they weren't they would just say, well, I meant the VENEER is solid wood.

If it is solid wood, they will be able to show you the end grain.

Veneer isn't bad. Commercially, it is cheaper than solid wood, in part because it takes more engineering to deal with the expansion/contraction due to humidity. As drooplug said, try pushing on the bubble to see if it flattens.

If it doesn't, it's not hopeless. Perhaps you can wet it again, put some pinpricks in the finish so it's more permeable, keep the water very local by damming it with tape, and be VERY SURE that it doesn't have any iron in it.

When the substrate is moistened, wipe dry, remove the tape, then clamp it with great force. You can use heavy clamps with cauls that go the width of the table, with blocks of very smooth, flat hard wood (think closed pore like maple or cherry, not open grain like oak) on both sides bearing on the top. It's overwhelmingly likely that the substrate is MDF or particleboard, both of which are compressed with hundreds of lbs per sq ft of force in the manufacture. Duplicate that, almost. You will probably need a second set of hands to rig everything.

BTW, you lucked out. Often damage from flowerpots is much more severe, and on oak tables like this the veneer often gets iron stains as well. They can be reduced with oxalic acid but rarely eliminated.