How come the US have no market for muli-purpose workstations?

Old 08-24-13, 02:41 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How come the US have no market for muli-purpose workstations?

I've been trying to find a marketed product that would allow me to sort of kill two bird with one stone with my jig-saw. Turn it upside down and turn into a little bandsaw, scroll saw, etc. I realize something in my research... Why are woodworking stations that allow you to insert your hand power tools like circular saw, jig saw, routers, etc. only popular in Europe and UK? You'd be hard pressed to find a table in the us market that allows you to insert your jigsaw upside down. Router tables are prevalent, but that's it. I know you can make this yourself, but I'm just curious why there isn't a big market. The all in one workstations are even cooler.

Here are some examples:

1. Triton WCA201 Workcentre Series 2000 Table Saw - YouTube Triton Workcenter 2000. Allows you to turn your circular saw into a table saw, you can insert your router, and your jigsaw as well. UNITED KINGDOM

2. wolfcraft MASTER cut 2000 - YouTube Wolcraft Master Cut 2000. Same thing, allows you to integrate your circular saw, jigsaw and router. GERMANY

3. POWER8 Workshop PLUS 8 Piece Cordless Workstation - YouTube POWER8 UNITED KINGDOM

3. I said fine, let me just focus on a Jig-saw. So I found this: Neutechnik jigsaw table Super Set accessories - YouTube by Neutechnik. What do you know.. GERMANY

4. Here's another cool jig-saw accessory. It doesn't flip upside down, but still, it's an accessory for a jig-saw, which means the US market must be allergic to it. LOL! Bosch PLS 300. Bosch PLS 300 jig saw cutting guide - YouTube It's Bosch! Surely I have a chance! What do you know, not available in the US. LOL! Only Germany.

Now the closest thing in the US was the Skil X-Bench. This thing allows you to insert a router and jigsaw. Skil X Bench Commercial - YouTube But it's been discontinued. It also didn't meet California requirements which is where I'm from, so I can't even have it shipped to me even if I found one.

So guys, why is this so? I'm a newbie, and I'm gravitated towards these products, so I'm thinking these things are appealing to beginners? Is the US market too DIY hardcore? I know right on cue, some of you will come in this thread and tell me how easy it is to make such a bench. LOL! But seriously, any clue? Is my observation correct? Are there similar products in the US that I'm not aware of?

Old 08-24-13, 02:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
They may be appealing to beginners, but they are dangerous. Having an oscillating blade sticking up where you can come in contact with it or drop something on it is not appealing. Every tool has its purpose. Jig saws have theirs, as does scroll saws, table saws, etc. Adapting something into something it wasn't intended to be can be dangerous, costly, and impractical.

Old 08-24-13, 03:17 PM
A
Understood, but all these dangerous products such as table saws, bandsaws, scroll saws, miter saws are available and popular in the US. I'm just curious why these multi-purpose stations are not popular.

Old 08-24-13, 03:50 PM
At one time multistation units were popular, especially in restricted shop space. But changing the tools turned out to be a real PITA, everytime you wanted to do another action. The way shops are set up now allows YOU to move from station to station rather than staying in one place and tinker around with making something work.

I much prefer separate stations, and yes, all the tools are dangerous, but safety devices make them safer if you use them. When your need grows beyond the capability of the multi stations, then they are obsolete. My shop has table saw, radial arm, router, band saw, scroll saw, drill press, joiner, planer, lathe, compressor, plus banging tables. Too much for a multi station set up.

Old 08-24-13, 04:16 PM
A
True. I can see how it'll be obsolete if you have the space for everything. I also suspect professionals do not need nor want such a workstation. But someone like me who dabble occasionally, who will never be a professional, do not have the garage space nor want to spend top dollar on each individual equipment. I wish there were more products like this in the US targeting people like me, there are bunch of us wannabes. LOL!

Old 08-24-13, 04:36 PM
If you want versatility, check into Shop Smith systems. Bunch of tools in one unit. May find one on Ebay or on Craigslist.

Old 08-24-13, 06:19 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It's probably because scroll work is not very popular. Why do you need to have your jigsaw in a table when using it in your hand works very well? I also see inexpensive scroll saws for less than $100.

Old 08-25-13, 12:14 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
My daddy bought a scroll saw adapter for his table saw and I doubt he used it more than once or twice in his lifetime. I have had that saw for at least thirty years and NEVER used the attachment.

Old 08-25-13, 04:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 839 Upvotes on 736 Posts

If you want versatility, check into Shop Smith systems

I bought one over 30 yrs ago and while it will support many different tools, it's not as easily changed as the advertisements would lead you to believe. It's probably been over 20 yrs since I've used it for anything other than a table saw. If I had it to do over, I'd have bought separate pieces of equipment instead.

Old 08-25-13, 10:24 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Since Chinese/Taiwanese machines hit the market, the price of machinery has dropped considerably. Also machines designed for tiny home shops for the weekend warrior abound. Those are more cheeply made as well.

Old 08-25-13, 06:13 PM
A
Well, will ponder a bit what I want. I have a circular saw, jigsaw and router. I just would like one of these barebones tables so I can insert my tools instead of having to buy it's dedicated table counterparts. Good thing is that I realize that most of these things are listed on the Amazon site of its country. Just have to pay shipping.

Old 08-26-13, 09:53 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
"Making do" in America has gone the way of the buggy whip. I don't know if it's the constant safety warnings "you'll shoot your eye out, kid!", or if we're just so spoiled we can't imagine mounting a portable tool in a table when for just a few hundred dollars we can own the stationary version from Taiwan.

Old 08-26-13, 01:18 PM
F
Do-it-yourself is also at an all time low in America. It absolutely amazes me how many people do not have a clue as to how things are built or how they work. What is even more amazing to me is that a fair number of these people don't want to know. The third thing is that among this latter group a goodly number look down their noses at anyone that DOES understand and can do what is required.

Old 08-26-13, 02:23 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 839 Upvotes on 736 Posts
Furd, I totally agree!! It amazes me how anyone can go thru life and not be able to figure out simple things that keep your house, car, etc. going. Most of my diy skills were acquired by either being too poor or too cheap to pay someone to do it for me ....... and the satisfaction of having done it myself I see people all the time that let things fall apart because they can't afford to pay someone to fix it and have no desire to try and figure it out for themselves

Old 08-26-13, 09:42 PM
A
I knew this thread was a bad idea.

Do any of those comments alluding to how people have dumbed down apply to the thread starter? LOL!

I'd like confirmation before I retort.

Old 08-26-13, 11:13 PM
F
Yes, in my opinion it does. You started out by asking why there are no combination machines and the bottom line is because there is no demand for them. Part of the reason for no (very low) demand is that fewer and fewer people these days are "in to" doing things for themselves.

I don't so much see this trend as "dumbing down" as much as simply having other interests. I know people that use a computer every day yet haven't a clue as to how it works and they would never consider doing anything to the computer, even as simple a thing as adding a memory chip, but these same people are far from "dumb" but instead are highly intelligent. They simply have other interests. Often this is because of a lack of exposure when they were children and just as often it is because they simply don't want to "waste their time" on such things.

I utterly detest "making a bed" and I have since I first understood what the task entailed. I would rather clean 1,000 bathrooms than make a bed. That's just me and I know people that feel just the opposite. Working with wood to make a bookcase or whatever is the same to some people. They would rather do almost anything besides making their own furniture, or fixing the electrical, or changing out a garbage disposal or any other job around the house. These people have no desire for a multi-use tool and these people are becoming more and more common with every day that passes. I used to enjoy working on cars but now anything more than changing the oil I leave for the professional mechanics and often I leave them the oil job as well.

Old 08-27-13, 02:12 AM
Do any of those comments alluding to how people have dumbed down apply to the thread starter?

You asked "why", and we provided our answers. Yes it does apply.

Old 08-27-13, 06:24 AM
G
Further proof of lack of demand (whatever the cause): Look for it on Craigslist or eBay. For sure tables were made in the past in the USA for portable tools. Delta, Rockwell, Sears, Black & Decker and a slew of others once made multi-purpose and multi-station tools but they are ultra-rare to find used. Shopsmith resale value is horrible. There are 2 possible reasons for this: A - nobody wants to sell one of these treasures, or B - nobody wants to buy one of these treasures.

Of course a real DIYer would bang one together in a few minutes from scraps.
If Norm can build a Chippendale highboy in an hour... (old woodworking joke)

Old 08-27-13, 07:37 AM
A
My bad, I was a little confused by all the takes. I had initially thought you guys were attacking people like me for not going into the garage and banging up my own multi-use table. But here, you're saying there is no market for it because people lack an interest in DIY. So certainly, that doesn't apply to me.

I believe I can make one that will look like a total POS and will look every bit like a beginner did it, win some brownie points from you guys, etc. But space is limited and I want to play it safe. Half of my garage is filled up with inventory. I have an online business. The fact that I have all these tools and I'm on these forums should show that I have a desire to DIY. I build computers from scratch, and how I learned was because I always tinkered with used PCs, ripping them apart inside and out. If I can see one of these tables up close, I know I'll be able to build one in the future. I've never been privy to one of these tables, just various youtube videos.

Old 08-27-13, 07:58 AM
T
My router table, that I have used for many years, is an old cabinet door with a hole for the bit to protrude through and a circular relief underneath for the base to sit in. It gets screwed to 2 sawhorses on the rare occasions it gets used. I recently made an overhead jig when I had to mill some picture moulding. If I used it very often, I would have a permanent set up. As for the jigsaw and circular saw tables, I would forget about that. Neither will work very well. For the cost of the table you are looking at you can buy a small benchtop tablesaw and bandsaw that will work much better and not take up any more space than the table will, maybe even less.

Old 08-27-13, 09:10 AM
G
I feel a little bad about all the bleak posts. I Googled "table mounted jigsaw" and switched to Images. There are some good ideas there to explore. Really your idea does have merit--a jigsaw can make plunge cuts you can't do with a bandsaw or tablesaw. I would never use my woodcutting bandsaw on steel or tile but with the right blade you can do that with a jigsaw.

I also spotted a product that at first I thought might be exactly what you are looking for--but sadly it's a base WITH the saw already attached. The cheezy "infomercial" is hilarious and worth a watch. You might get some good ideas. Others will watch and find lots of reasons NOT to use a jigsaw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TThrIsIYObY&feature=player_embedded

Old 08-29-13, 02:04 AM
F
I actually like the Blade Runner. I considered buying one for at least thirty seconds until I reminded myself that tools mean work and I have an aversion to work.

I bought my RotoZip from the original infomercial and I don't regret it for a minute. Like the Blade Runner it is touted as the "be all-do all" of power tools. Of course it isn't and is a poor excuse for many applications but as a single tool that can do a host of different jobs, albeit not as well as a dedicated tool, it IS appealing to someone like me that has no room for a shop full of tools and no back account to support a half-million dollar shop.

I would love to have the combination press brake, shear and rolling (sheet metal) tool from Harbor Freight but I not only do not have the room for it neither do I have but a very few projects that would use it. This is true of many projects in my life so instead i make do with what I have or in rare cases I farm out the work. Several years ago I installed an electronic air filter in my central heating system. Having a shear and a brake would have made the job a piece of cake but I made do quite well with a pair of tin snips along with a 2x4 and the cast iron table of the table saw to aid in bending the sheet metal.

I remember in junior high school art class the teacher gave us an assignment to design our dream house. While others were busy designing kitchens, game rooms and the like I was designing machine shops, woodworking shops and sheet metal shops for my house. I never have been able to have much of a shop for various reasons but I still am able to do a few projects to completion.

Now if I could only get the garage cleaned out so I could work on my electric riding lawnmower.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: