Polycrylic layering

Old 08-26-13, 09:01 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Polycrylic layering

I recently built a home bar in my man cave and have reached the point of finishing it. I wanted to create a design on the bar top so I used a couple heavy coats of Kilz latex primer with Behr enamel paint on top of it. Originally, I was going to purchase sheets of plexiglass to cover the bar top, but that would be a little more expensive than I would like, so I would like to use Minwax Polycrylic instead (primer and paint are water-based). My question is whether I need to layer the polycrylic in thin sheets as instructed, or if I could instead pour the polycrylic out over the bar top? The bar top is approximately 8.5' x 2' with a spill lip around it, so I estimated that a quart of polycrylic would do the trick. The hope is that this would create a nice, thick layer of polycrylic to protect the bar top.

Would this work or am I just asking for trouble? Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-13, 09:11 AM
D
You cannot pour it on thick like that. They make a bar top finish that is meant to be poured like that.

Old 08-26-13, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I know when we used a thick bar top finish (on a bar, in a bar) it was a two part epoxy. Even then, the guy who did the first application put it on too thick and it really heated up and bubbled badly. Had to grind/sand it all off and have an experienced person re-do it. Something like 2-3 layers about 1/8-3/16 thick over a couple of days. I'd guess that anything that required a chemical reaction to cure would mess up your paint.

I'd use the poly per instructions just like if you were trying to build a thick finish on a table top. May want to experiment on a scrap piece with the paint you used on the bar. Be a shame to mess up the work so far.

Old 08-26-13, 11:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
As noted above - you can't apply polycrylic that thick. I don't know for sure but the bar coating that is designed to be poured on might alter the colors some, I know an oil base poly does! Using polycrylic should do ok - I'd recommend 3-4 coats. It won't be as tough as the other options but if you keep an eye on it and then lightly sand and apply a fresh coat of polycrylic every so often it should work ok.

Old 08-26-13, 11:58 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
The bar top stuff is pretty easy to find and work with, from my experience. I've heard guys talk about needing to run a torch across the surface to remove bubbles.

If there's no height to your design, the polycrylic would probably work.

Old 08-27-13, 07:22 AM
S
Thanks for the advice. I hadn't considered the pour-on epoxy, but after a little research that definitely seems like the way to go. My only concern is if it will yellow the primer when it comes in contact with it? The design on the top of the bar is from the white primer I covered with painters tape showing through the black enamel paint.

Old 08-27-13, 10:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
I only have a passing knowledge of the 'pour on bar top' stuff. I suspect that it will yellow/amber the white but don't know for sure. Maybe you could contact the manufacture and get their input.