Wavy finish as polyurethane dries

Old 09-09-13, 03:50 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wavy finish as polyurethane dries

I am refinishing a maple dining room table. I have stripped it, and sanded to the bare wood. I am not applying stain, just oil based polyurethane.

I only have the first coat on at this point, and as it dries it has kind of a wavy appearance to it. When you look at it carefully while wet, it looks fine. But as it dries it has an odd ripple to it. Kind of like when a breeze blows across water. Its only noticeable when looking closely from the side, but I have never run into this before. Do you think this will disappear in additional coats?

I have used polyurethane before, refinishing kitchen cabinets, woodwork, furniture, and I've never seen this. I don't think the coat is too thick, it is not humid, and the surface was clean.

Any ideas?

Old 09-09-13, 04:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
It should be ok. Sand [should always sand and remove dust between coats]and recoat to see if that helps or eliminates the issue. Was the poly stirred well? Would the issue show up in a pic? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 09-09-13, 04:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,975 Upvotes on 1,771 Posts
If the ripples are consistent... like every 1/16" or every 1/8", then it sounds like milling marks that were left in the wood from the planer blades that were originally used to mill the wood. This is pretty common when people think the wood is ready to finish because it "looks" smooth, and they do not think they have to sand it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: