Sanding plywood smooth, then wiping dust off leaves wood rough again

Old 09-09-13, 09:45 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sanding plywood smooth, then wiping dust off leaves wood rough again

Im sanding some plywood. Its nice and smooth until I wipe it clean of the dust with a cloth. It gets rough again as I wipe it. What am I doing wrong?

Old 09-09-13, 10:17 AM
T
The dust fills the grain making it look smooth. Keep sanding. You're not wiping it with a wet rag are you? That will raise the grain. Best to vacuum the dust off.

Old 09-09-13, 10:26 AM
B
Nah, no wet rag. Dry cloth, even tried a tack cloth. Feels nice and smooth until I start wiping dust off.
Makes it hard to start staining. I do one coat, then wipe off excess after 15 minutes and it gets rough again.

Old 09-09-13, 10:39 AM
T
Are you working on oak plywood by any chance? If so, it will never sand smooth, the pores will always be open no matter how deep you sand. In any case, you can apply a grain filler after you stain or just build up your final top coat to get it reasonably smooth. Oak is often finished showing a bit of the open grain.

Old 09-09-13, 12:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 765 Posts
As long as it isn't too rough to stain, I wouldn't worry so much about it. I'd stain, apply the sanding sealer or first coat of poly, then sand again - it should be nice and slick by the time you get to the 3rd coat of poly/varnish.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: