Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Hardware, Tools, Wood & Metal Working, Home & Business Security > Furniture, Wood and Cabinetry Finishing
Reload this Page >

Going to open up the back of my kitchen cabinet, thought I would ask first...

Old 09-17-13, 05:05 PM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts

before I CUT...

I have a problem with my kitchen sink in that the drain stubout inside the cabinet is too high.

It used to be OK.

But then a garbage disposer was added by someone. That lowered everything.

So the p-trap is not working very well. The outlet of the disposer is actually a good two inches below the drain stub out.

I would like to lower the drain there by say 3".

Which means I need to open the back of the cabinet, and enlarge that hole until I find where it connects to the vent, then lower the tie in. Judging from the vent that comes out on the roof, I believe I might have to open up a hole about 24"W x 28"H.

Let's say I get all this done, how would I go about mending the cabinet and fix the big hole?

Last edited by MiamiCuse; 09-17-13 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-17-13, 05:50 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well, you would get some 1/4" plywood and piece it in around the pipes as best you can but reworking the drainage is a lot of work to be doing while laying inside a cabinet under a sink. If it was me, but it is not me, I would remove the disposal. I never saw the point of those things anyway.

Old 09-17-13, 06:02 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Please post well lit pictures of the plumbing under your sink. Lots I've worked on looked like they were done by the plumbing challenged. We may be able to give you a better solution. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...-pictures.html

Old 09-17-13, 08:24 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A whole lot neater to cut out the whole back inside the cabinet, not just cut out a hole.
An oscillating saw would work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: