Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Hardware, Tools, Wood & Metal Working, Home & Business Security > Furniture, Wood and Cabinetry Finishing
Reload this Page >

Newbie router bit question - bits are not wide enough to make a 2" x 3/8" slot

Old 09-24-13, 04:44 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I will be using a router for the first time to make slots in a counter plywood subtop to accept 2" wide x 3/8" deep steel reinforcing bars. I want to make the slots precisely 2" wide for a tight glue joint and I was thinking that the easiest way to get this precision would be to use a slot router bit that is 2" wide. But when I went to the store, the widest bit (even though they have a large selection) is around 1 1/2". Am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-13, 04:59 PM
T
You might be better off using a smaller bit and making two passes(width wise). I assume you will be using some type of epoxy and I think you should go very slightly over 2" otherwise there will be no room for the glue. Same goes for depth, if you go exactly 3/8" deep, you will never get the bars flush unless your adhesive is very watery. I'm curious, what are you building and why does it need all that steel in it?

Old 09-24-13, 05:39 PM
F
Good tip toolmon! This is to reinforce the plywood underneath a granite counter overhang without using corbels.

Old 09-24-13, 05:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 71 Votes on 64 Posts
Use a smaller bit and make several passes. Be sure to clamp router guides down tight or router will wander.

Old 09-24-13, 08:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 643 Votes on 595 Posts
I'll assume you either don't have a table saw and a dado blade... or the plywood is already affixed to the cabinets... right?

If a router is the way you need to go, I'd suggest that you use a 1/4" spiral bit to make your outer (critical) passes. As mentioned, the guide you use must be clamped tight, since if it moves at all... well you're groove will be wider than 2"! Once you make a pass down each side to define your 2" wide area, then switch to a 1/2" straight bit and clean out the 1 1/2" that will be left in the middle. this will require at least 4 passes, taking about 2/3 of the 1/2" bit at a time.

Old 09-25-13, 08:59 PM
F
Sounds like a good approach XSleeper. I purchased the Bosch 1617EVSPK and I am not sure if that is easy to use with a simple straight edge clamped to the counter (without the use of a guide rail product or table). I saw the smaller palm held Bosch router, but it was too similar in size to my existing Roto-Zip, so I just got the bigger more powerful one in case I have other uses for it in the future.

Old 09-26-13, 03:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
Your guide/fence can be something as simple as a straight 1x clamped to plywood.

Old 09-26-13, 04:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 643 Votes on 595 Posts
I would probably either screw or brad nail the guide onto the plywood to ensure it doesn't move The Bosch Colt palm router is suitable only for laminate and detail routering. You will burn it up fast if you push it too hard and try to use large profile bits. You got the right router for the job.