Making clean, accurate notch in lacquer finished cabinet?

Old 10-03-13, 05:57 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Making clean, accurate notch in lacquer finished cabinet?

Without getting into the long story of why (big discussion with my cabinet maker.. he thought it was too risky), I need to route several rectangular notches about 3/4 deep, 3 in long and 2 in wide without disturbing the lacquer finish around it. This is maple wood with a white lacquer. My idea is to first score the outside with a sharp wood chisel, and then use a smaller router to make the notches, and then use a chisel again to remove the rounded inside corners. We are both afraid that the router machine might be hard to control when it grabs the wood. So we would make a custom jig first. Is this the best way or is there a better technique or set of tools?

Old 10-03-13, 06:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
The router idea is good, but I suggest you make a template and use a "flush trim pattern bit" (google it) in the router. That way you can fully control the machine and no scoring needed. Just be sure to do a test run. Clean the corners as you mentioned.

Old 10-04-13, 03:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I would think a utility knife would be better for scoring the cut, maybe tape the perimeter too.

Old 10-04-13, 10:46 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I had the same thought as Mark about a utility knife for scoring instead of a chisel.

I also think I'd practice the whole process on some scrap first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: