Saddle seat or Windsor chair seat: need sanding advice

Old 10-20-13, 06:04 AM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Saddle seat or Windsor chair seat: need sanding advice

I did a search for both saddle seat and Windsor chair but amazingly there were no results for either.

I am making two saddle seat bar stools out of 2x12's to match the "bar-like" table I made for the tiny kitchen. I live alone so it's not so much for having dinner but a place to put stuff when I come in the back door so I made it that size to keep it from being piled high and quick to clean off.

Anyway, I have one seat roughly done. I made graduated depth cuts starting from outer edges and getting deeper towards the center. Used a chisel to remove the bulk of the wood which was time consuming but I figured would look the best when done. Now I'm ready for sanding so started with the belt sander but it was taking too much off even when being careful and keeping it moving. Probably going to be an elbow grease project from here on out but thought I'd post for any advice on making them come out right.

If I made a blunt point on the end of a large diameter dowel rod and put sand paper over it would that work to get to the area on the outer edges where the indention starts? Are there any hand tools out there that would help this project. I only have a jigsaw, circular saw and belt sander and plan to hit one of the big box stores today and can get whatever is suggested. I plan to do toy boxes for Christmas gifts so even if a little on the pricey side, I may get it anyway.

Thanks,
kjh9835

Old 10-20-13, 08:24 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For what your trying to do I'd be using a Random Orbital sander.
A belt sander is useless unless your trying to remove a lot of material fast.
I for sure would not be trying to make a seat that thick out of a single piece of wood.
Laminated strips would be far less likely to crack or cup.

Old 10-20-13, 08:17 PM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I can borrow a palm sander from a friend so I'll try that later this week when I get back to the seats. Next two days are scheduled for car repairs....yuck
Kathy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: