Repair broken plastic armrest?

Old 11-18-13, 09:35 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Repair broken plastic armrest?

Hello guys!

This is my first post here, so bear with me, I'm as noob as it gets! I'm propably in the wrong section as well, but I can find anything more suitable.

Anyway, I have an office chair which has two plastic armrests that hold the back in place. Something like this:[ATTACH=CONFIG]21486[/ATTACH]

Unfortunately, one of the plastic armrests broke in two places. Check the photo here:
Name:  m7urlt.jpg
Views: 8464
Size:  45.0 KB

So now, only a single plastic rentagle (armrest) hold the chair together, making the back very unstable.

I tried to support the broken pieces with wire, but ofcourse, after a day, it fall apart. I also screw metal plates over the broken pieces, but it still doesn't make it much more stable. Atleast now I can sit and rest my back, but the break makes the back uneven even with the metal plates support. See the picture:
Name:  28whyfa.jpg
Views: 8332
Size:  43.1 KB

I don't want to throw it away because it served me very good for years and it is in a good condition besides the crack. And I don't want to buy new stuff if I can find a fix for the ones I have. Its more ecological for the planet and my pocket.

Do you have any ideas??

I'm sorry if my english didn't serve their purpose well, if you want more details please let me know.

Attached Images   
Old 11-18-13, 05:37 PM
D
Try crazy glue. It will take longer than 30 seconds to dry.

Old 11-19-13, 12:57 AM
D
Do you think that a glue can hold up to that kind of stress?

Old 11-19-13, 04:58 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Glues not going to hold up under that stress point. Time for a new chair.

Old 12-12-13, 07:31 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Your metal stiffener needs to be longer and one piece not 2 small patches. Possibly even a piece of metal with a 90 degree bend to support the back of the chair. Will still look like a patch, but will be more sturdy than what you have there.

Same thing happened to my chair. Happened by a thrift store that had just received a ton of office furniture from some commercial remodel and was able to pick up 2 heavy duty commercial chairs for $5 each (yeah, I know!!) - my wife emailed all friends and everyone we know went and got new chairs.

Old 12-01-14, 01:22 PM
R
Cool Try this.

Remove BOTH arms from the chair. On the chair-facing side of the damaged arm,
use metal mending plates with self-tapping screws or better yet, pre-drill a hole slightly smaller than the self-tapping screws and add some two-part epoxy to each hole. Then quickly drill in the self-tapping screws snugly enough to hold but not fracture the repaired plastic chair arm. The mending plates should have a countersunk hole on each end, which will let the mending plate (inner side) mount flush to the outer edge seat cushion. Give the epoxy about an hour to set.
Then reattach the damaged arm - which should be exactly the dimensions of the unbroken side. Everything should be copacetic now.... Try not to bash the chair back too hard.

Bob

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: