Molding around an arc

Old 12-21-13, 05:46 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Molding around an arc

I'm building a frame around a board with approx a 10' radius arc in it. I'm looking to put panel molding on the inside of the frame and I'm having trouble bending the panel molding to follow the arc. The panel molding is about 1" in wide and I have a piece that is about 16" long that I'm trying to bend to follow arc. I can bend it a little but I still need to get it to bend about another 1/2" to get it to fit. Should I continue to try to force the piece to fit by bending it more- I'm afraid Ill crack it if I try to bend it more.
Wondering if anyone has any tips/ideas that I could use to help get this piece of molding to bend easier. I was thinking of cutting some kerfs, but I think the kerfs will come through and ruin the finished side of the panel molding.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-13, 05:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Use a piece of guttering or something similar, fill it with water and soak the wood in the water for a day. It will be much more pliable. Kerfs may be noticeable on such a small piece of lumber.

Old 12-21-13, 06:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
If that doesn't work you have at least 2 other options. Get the same profile in a bendable Duraflex resin.

Or take 2 pieces of your wood profile and make thin rips on a table saw. The cuts that the blade takes out of one must be the opposite of the cuts the blade takes out of the other. By stacking those strips back into order you make your own flexible moulding that you can bend into shape and then glue back together as you stack it. It's usually best to make a template of the radius and do the gluing and clamping and stacking on a bench. Then it will take some light sanding before it's ready to install. If it's stain grade you have to be super careful with the glue.

Larry's suggestion is the obvious first choice and hopefully it will work for you.

Old 12-21-13, 06:37 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You could also steam it.
steam bending wood techniques - Bing Videos

Old 12-22-13, 03:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
FWIW, of all the curved casing/trim I've painted/stained over the years - the 2 that X mentioned are what I've run across the most often.