Stainless steel counter top...how to attach?

Old 01-01-14, 06:57 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stainless steel counter top...how to attach?

A local sheet metal built for me a stainless steel counter top with a nice roll to the backsplash. It measures 7' L x 24" deep with a 20" backsplash. It fits perfectly onto the plywood top of the cabinet. What do you recommend for the adhesive to attach it? I'm concerned about an epoxy as I can recall my Dad and I doing one YEARS ago and one side touched as we tried to get it positioned, and there it nearly stayed.

I'm thinking troweling on some construction adhesive with a toothed trowel to assure uniformity of adhesive depth....and that the construction adhesive would be somewhat forgiving to repositioning, if needed...?

Old 01-01-14, 07:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,959 Upvotes on 1,756 Posts
You are probably thinking of contact cement. Epoxy has a working time from several minutes to maybe half an hour. Personally, I would probably use a few large dots of 100% silicone, mainly along the front edge / not as many along the back. You need to think about the possibility of being able to remove it someday without absolutely destroying it. It will be hard enough to remove if you just use silicone.

Old 01-01-14, 07:25 PM
A
XSleeper, you don't think that the large dots would be discernable? Should I not spread/trowel it out? I love the idea of the silicone, thank you!

Old 01-01-14, 07:39 PM
Group Moderator
You put the silicone far enough away from the edge that it doesn't gush out. You won't need a lot. Several silver dollar sized dots, maybe 16" apart. The silicone will flatten out and spread under the weight of the countertop. If you use too much or trowel it, someone will curse you someday. It might even be you cursing yourself, asking why oh why did I put so much adhesive on here. What was I thinking?

Believe me, I've torn apart a few things that I assembled years ago and wondered the same thing. You just need enough sealant to hold it in place.

I'm assuming this stainless steel is thick enough that it lays flat and it doesn't flex at all, right?

Old 01-01-14, 07:45 PM
A
Yes sir, it is thick enough to lay flat..but it does indeed flex. But I have plenty of old towels and bricks to make double sure that it stays flat. I will go with the silicone. My only concern is that backsplash...I guess I can stack brick to hold it against the wall....? If that fails, I can put in attractive enough screws/washers.

Old 01-01-14, 08:13 PM
Group Moderator
If the horizontal surface flexes, you may also want a few large dots toward the center so that there aren't any large voids.

Old 01-03-14, 05:51 PM
A
Perfect; thank you; I'll give you an update, brother.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: