how to get clean and get smoke smell out of a dining room table!!

Old 01-08-14, 07:19 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
how to get clean and get smoke smell out of a dining room table!!

Hi there! I recently purchased a used dining room table. The table is from Value City originally and said to be walnut. It had a darker stain on it but does not seem to have a polyurethane finish on tabletop... I unfortunately just dont know if it does... I am so not educated in such things!! The woman who had the table before me was a smoker, so the table and chairs have a slight odor to them and also have been waxed to death, so feel coated. The wax was from art van for dark finishes. So.... my question is... how to clean this table???? I started with Murphys Oil Soap on one side of the table top which took off alot of grime and waxy feel but now that side looks cloudy. Where do I go from here? Help please, I really dont want yo ruin this table and chairs!! Thanks so much in advance!!

Old 01-09-14, 04:10 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 870 Upvotes on 761 Posts
Welcome to the forums Jennifer!

How bad is the smoke odor? how far into the job do you want go?

Scrubbing with mineral spirits would likely remove the wax but then you might be left without a finish. Unless you get mad and attack the table with an ax, I doubt you'll ruin it but what you do will determine how much work it will take to make it nice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: