A little project help: Using deck boards for an inside project

Old 01-15-14, 09:23 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A little project help: Using deck boards for an inside project

I am a new member and have very little experience working with wood. I am creating a "signature" wall in my home to hang wildlife mounts on. I was going to use reclaimed barn wood, but it is going for quite the price right now and is hard to come by. I was thinking about using new deck boards on the wall and staining it to resemble barn wood. Is it a good idea to use deck boards over drywall and can I stain it before putting it up? Thanks for the help.

Lg_mouth

Old 01-15-14, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It might me a little tough to get the right look...though I guess a solid grey stain would come close if you have a bit of artistic skill. No real reason to use decking though. The cheaper grade of pine boards would probably be cheaper and a closer match. Or maybe fence boards...

Old 01-15-14, 12:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 872 Upvotes on 763 Posts
Also PT wood is generally wet and will shrink as it dries out. You can stain most any wood most any color you desire but a new smooth planed board will never resemble the roughness of old barn siding. I like Vic's suggestion of using fence boards. The rougher the wood, the darker the stain will be so you might want to experiment on some scrap before you commit to a stain color.

Old 01-27-14, 11:02 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I went with...

...tongue and groove barn siding that I stained. It worked the best for my situation. Thanks for the responses.

Lg_mouth

Old 01-27-14, 02:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 872 Upvotes on 763 Posts
Care to post some pics so we can see your handiwork?

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: