Recommended sandpaper sheet brand?

Old 02-08-14, 08:01 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Recommended sandpaper sheet brand?

I need to stock up on sand paper and I figured I would ask around to find out what you all like best. This sandpaper would be for sanding wood.

I need 120 for most sanding and 320 for fine finish sanding (lacquer).

I found Mirka brand here. I like the mirka discs I use on my random orbital.

Also I need boxes of 50 sheets as we use it a lot. What brand/type do you all prefer?

Old 02-08-14, 09:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 852 Upvotes on 747 Posts
I've never paid a lot of attention to the brand, mostly the type of sandpaper. I prefer the red garnet paper but aluminum oxide is cheaper. I usually get a sleeve of whatever the paint store has on hand in the grit I need.

Old 02-08-14, 11:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,947 Upvotes on 1,747 Posts
I don't pay attention to brand either. 99% of the sanding I do is also using 120 with my oribital, and I have always just bought whatever 8 hole disks the box store sells. I have never noticed that one is better than the other. It's not like they spend much more than 30 minutes on the sander, if that. I save some old disks to fold in half for hand sanding before pitching them.

The little bit of handsanding that I do, I will usually have a box of 3M Sandblaster 120 (aluminum oxide) or a variety pack. I will say that I do prefer the garnet paper when hand sanding, as I seem to totally obliterate a folded piece of aluminum oxide sandpaper in no time flat. The garnet paper lasts much longer, IMO. It's better suited for final sanding anyway.

For lacquer, while I do sometimes use 220 grit, I find that synthetic steel wool works better between coats. Of course I'm not the type that is polishing or wet sanding and waxing a finish, either.

The Mirka paper sounds interesting... be nice if they'd send free samples. I fold sandpaper in half when hand sanding anyway, so the vinyl coating on the back would be wasted on me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: