How Do I Remove these Countertops?

Old 02-15-14, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How Do I Remove these Countertops?

Hi. I purchased this product Instant Granite - Instant Granite Film for Countertops, Faux Granite Film, Peel and Stick Granite Film. - Give Your Countertops an Extreme Makeover! I want to install it on the countertops that are shown in the photos. I want to know how to remove the countertop so that I can properly install the product. Are countertops typically screwed to the front, back and side of cabinets? In this case, I can tell they are screwed in the front, but I am not sure where else they are screwed in. Do I have to remove the drawers to get to where the screws are?

Also, there is a small backsplash made of the same countertop material along three walls. How are these backsplashes typically adhered to the wall? Liquid nails? How do I remove the backsplashes and then reinstall them?

Do I have to remove the washing machine to get at the countertop?

Finally, in regard to the sink, is it just connected to the countertop with clips? How can I partially separate the sink from the countertop so that I can properly install the material?

Thanks.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-14, 06:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 274 Posts
Yes, countertops are generally screwed down from underneath. If you remove the drawers, open all the doors and look up in the corners of each and every cabinet you will probably find most of them. Once you remove all the screws, try and lift the front of the countertop up. Often it will pop right up, other times if it doesn't its because you missed one or two screws. Sometimes the backsplash will come with it, other times not. They are generally glued to the wall after the countertop is installed. If you try and remove them, you will probably punch holes in the drywall. So I'd say that prying up the countertop is best... maybe the backsplash will pop off the wall and do less damage that way.

Occasionally the countertop will also be glued down here or there. If it is, you are kind of screwed.

The dishwasher is generally secured to the countertop... open it's door and look on top. It may need to get pulled out... but I would try and pop the countertop off without moving it first. If you find that it won't come... then pull the dishwasher and look for additional screws you may have missed.

The sink will have clips that you unscrew from underneath. It will probably also have silicone under the rim. You can probably cut it loose using a bent dinner knife, inserted under the lip of the sink. The faucet and sprayer may have to be removed as well, if they go through the countertop and not just the sink flange.

I don't really understand why you would need to remove the countertop to install the product you are looking at. Removing the sink, sure. But what is the benefit of removing the countertop and backsplash?

Old 02-15-14, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi XSleeper. Thank you for the good advice. I need to use a heat gun as part of the application process of the faux granite material. I thought that I would get better adhesion of the material, and a better overall look, if I could adhere the material to the backside of the countertop too.

I thought the heat gun might cause some damage to the painted dry wall that abuts the backsplash. Also, I was not sure about the space where the backsplash meets the countertop, I thought that the application would look neater if the material was adhered separately to the backsplash and then to the countertop.

Do you think I could apply the material without removing the countertop? It would make the job a lot easier. Do you think the space where the backsplash and countertop meet would look okay if I used one piece of material applied to both the backsplash and the countertop?

Old 02-15-14, 07:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 274 Posts
I can't really answer those questions, I've never worked with the stuff. The "heat gun" you use should probably just be a hair dryer set on high heat. You will probably melt something if you use a real heat gun, even if used on a low setting. If you do use a heat gun you will have to keep it moving and no it would not do any damage as long as you don't have it set too high or hold it in one spot too long. I just think someone who hasn't every used a heat gun would probably end up burning a hole in something before he even knew what happened.

Click on their installation tutorials link and read through that. Nowhere do I see any advantage to removing the countertop. They suggest soap and water to prevent it from clinging, and to help you smooth it into place. It sounds a lot like those car wraps you see them doing on automobiles.

The thing that worries me about the product is the line that says, "The film is as easy to remove as it is to apply." Really? cuz I don't think I would want it to be easy to remove. I would picture it peeling back in places that you don't really want it to. And you'd probably need to be EXTRA sure that all cooking oils and grease have been cleaned from all parts of the countertop before using this product. After cleaning it and maybe lightly sanding, wiping it with Acetone or Lacquer Thinner would be my suggestion, to try and make sure no oils are present on the surface.

Old 02-16-14, 05:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
After cleaning it and maybe lightly sanding, wiping it with Acetone or Lacquer Thinner would be my suggestion, to try and make sure no oils are present on the surface.
Make sure you turn the rag over or get a new rag as needed so you don't just move any contaminants around the top.