What Can I Use to Seal and Protect Countertops?

Old 02-19-14, 11:10 AM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What Can I Use to Seal and Protect Countertops?

I purchased a product called instant granite (Instant Granite - Instant Granite Film for Countertops, Faux Granite Film, Peel and Stick Granite Film. - Give Your Countertops an Extreme Makeover!) and I installed it over laminate countertops in my kitchen. I am pleased with the results so far.

I want to seal/protect the faux granite treatment. What type of product can I use? Can I use oil based or water based polyurethane? varnish?

Is there something that is water proof, heat resistant and scratch resistant?

How many coats do you suggest?

How long would I need to let it dry?

Can/Should I sand this material before I apply a sealant?

Would Envirotex Lite work? I am not sure how much I would need or how expensive it is.

Thank you for your help.

Old 02-19-14, 11:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 598 Votes on 531 Posts
Have you tried contacting the manufacture and asking them? Oil base poly/varnish often changes the color of what it's applied too - usually gives it an amber tint.

Old 02-19-14, 12:01 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Marksr:

Yes, I contacted the manufacturer, this was the response I got-

I have had others apply a poly coating over the granite for extra durability. Seems like it works well. Thanks!

I followed up by asking whether a poly coating was a water based polyurethane or an oil based polyurethane, but I have not received a response to that question.

Based on the response I did get, what brand of coating do you think was being referred to?

Old 02-19-14, 12:43 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 598 Votes on 531 Posts
Oil base polys tend to adhere better than water based but there is a chance that the oils could be detrimental to the film you applied. There generally isn't a big difference between brands. Hopefully the manufacture will get back to you with more details.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: