Fine-toothed Jigsaw Blades

Old 02-23-14, 05:51 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Fine-toothed Jigsaw Blades

I'm fabricating some doll furniture for my daughter out of 1/4" MDF and 1/4" plywood and am in need of either some very fine-toothed blades for my jigsaw (if such blades exist) or perhaps a specialty electric crafting saw. I'm afraid the jigsaw and blades I have would be just too violent and chew up the wood. Any recommendations? Would the 12 TPI scrolling wood blade in this set suffice? DEWALT DW3742C 14-Piece T-Shank Jig Saw Blade Set with Case - Amazon.com

Last edited by mossman; 02-23-14 at 06:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-14, 06:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 229 Votes on 211 Posts
Don't know what kind of jigsaw you have, but if it takes t-shank blades, I'd probably recommend the Bosch 101AO blades. Thin for tight turns in wood, and 20 teeth per/in. Don't be confused by blades that offer more teeth per inch that that, they will usually be designed for cutting metal, not wood.

Old 02-24-14, 04:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
In addition to Brant's comment, for a finer cut, and if your saw has the option, turn the oscillation to zero or one. Three is to aggressive for fine wood cuts.

Old 02-24-14, 07:49 AM
I wasn't paying attention to the shank. My current jigsaw uses U-shank blades and definitely doesn't have any adjustable settings. It's a Black & Decker and is about 15 years old (dark green case). Blades are secured with a spring-loaded blade holder/clamp.

I wasn't able to find a wood blade with higher than 12 TPI yesterday when I (briefly) looked (the higher ones were for metal). I'll consider getting a new jigsaw and those Bosch blades. Any particular brand(s) you would recommend? B&D, Makita, Bosch?

Another question: I need to make some long straight cuts (24") as well in the 1/4" MDF. I have a 10" table saw, but imagine it may leave a jagged edge. Should I replace the blade with a finer tooth or would it be better to get a mini table saw?

Old 02-24-14, 08:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ideally you should be using a scroll saw for a job like this.
If not I'd be using a fine toothed narrow down cutting blade. That way the tare out would be on the bottom not the top.
There's no reason you can not use a bimetal blade to cut wood.

Old 02-24-14, 08:36 AM
A scroll saw would be nice to have, but that won't help me with the long straight cuts (because the wood will hit the supporting arm).

Concerning my table saw, should I get a 60 tooth blade to cut the 1/4" MDF or something finer (e.g. 180 tooth)?

Last edited by mossman; 02-24-14 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-24-14, 04:19 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
80 tooth blade and leave the blade down to where it barely emerges. That will help keep down tear out on the table saw. I use a Dewalt 18 volt using t shanks. Adjustable oscillation. I also have a Freud, corded, but as with all engineering, no one thought about exiting the motor wash past the blade, so dust builds up on the blade. Major Duh factor.

Old 02-24-14, 06:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 229 Votes on 211 Posts
The u-shank equivalent to that blade I suggested would be the Bosch U101AO3. The downcutting equivalent that Joecaption1 suggests would be the Bosch U1AOF. Either would produce fine cuts.

Best thing about the newer jigsaws would be the quick-change blades and also the oscillating adjustment that Larry mentioned. I love my Bosch Progressor jigsaw with the metal case.

Old 02-25-14, 12:59 PM
Can't seem to find a Bosch Progressor jigsaw available for sale. They all seem to be sold out. Either they are that good or they are discontinued.