Lift top table

Old 02-26-14, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lift top table

I'd love to build a coffee table with a lift top so we can raise it high enough to eat at the couch. I've looked at the store bought varieties and the do-it-yourself ideas. the former are WAY too expensive and the latter are either too hard to lift or seem too flimsy. After days of research I found what I think to be the perfect piece of hardware to use.

1100 LB Wide Deck Motorcycle Scissor Lift Jack Hoist Stand Bikes ATVs

I would like this to attach to the bottom of the (breadbox) table top I have already built. A pedestal base at the proper coffee table height would be ideal, but I've no idea on how to stabilize the large table top above it.

Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-14, 07:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums. IMO, what you propose with a motorcycle jack, will be unwieldy and difficult to use. Google "rockler's" and see the right thing to use. Woodsmith Convertible Table Plan - Rockler Woodworking Tools

Old 02-27-14, 04:44 AM
I live in a house full of rhinos... and seen those mechanisms. They are not nearly as sturdy as they'd need to be. I also looked at scissor jacks, and piano stands but with the same problem. The one i'm looking at also has a fairly small footprint so the dog would be able to find his favorite spot under the table. And as opposed to something that WOULD be sturdy enough -- adjustable wooden trestles -- but the procedure to lift would be onerous. Anyone with a better idea? or constructive help with attaching the base to the table?

Old 02-27-14, 04:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 169 Votes on 150 Posts
I don't know much about motorcycle lifts but couldn't you either drill holes in the top of the jack and screw the top on that way or screw/bolt wood to the jack top and then secure the top to that wood ?

Old 02-27-14, 10:36 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
One of the things that makes lift-top tables a good replacement for TV trays is that they raise (quickly, easily and without needing a ratchet!) to an appropriate height AND the top moves towards the couch. Without that lateral movement just raising the top isn't a very comfortable position.

Can your rhinos be trained to not wrestle on the table when it's lifted?

Old 02-27-14, 12:39 PM
I wish I could retrain them unfortunately they're all almost in their dotage. i need something REALLY sturdy -- and don't mind an industrial look. Having to use a ratchet doesn't really bother me. At least i wouldn't need to clear the table each time i raised and lowered it