how long to let newly painted cabinets cure?

Old 03-18-14, 01:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how long to let newly painted cabinets cure?

Hello, new here. Just finished painting my kitchen cabinets- they were oak, but never well cared for by previous owners and finish was gone. I sanded the crap out of them, primed with a coat of Kilz original oil-based stain blocker, and followed up with 3-4 coats of Behr pure white semi-gloss latex enamel. How long do I need to allow the finished doors to "cure" before I rehang them with the new hardware? I did 3-4 coats on each side, one coat each evening, flipped them, and did 3 coats on the backside.

For what its worth, all the painting work was done in a family room with a pellet stove, so it has been very warm and dry in there. I was planning on waiting a week. I had to paint in "batches" because I was limited to the space of a pair of 8ft 2-bys, so some doors have been done longer than others, but I was going to give it a week since the last door was finished.

This was a ton of work, don't want to screw something up because I'm impatient.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-14, 01:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
I'm not overly familiar with Behr's enamels but some latex enamels never dry/cure to a hard film. Generally the more expensive quality latex enamels fare better than their cheaper counterpart. Oil base coatings generally cure within 72 hrs but latex paints can take a week or so.

IMO it's more important to be gentle and use care than a long cure time. If anything does get messed up it's not that big of a deal to fix it.