Stripping preference?

Old 03-18-14, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stripping preference?

I'm in the furniture business. I strip and refinish many pieces. The WORST part of this is stripping the furniture.

I'm wondering what you all use. Currently I am using KWIK varnish remover KWIK®
which works extremely well. It is a Methylene Chloride product but, it's drawbacks are the fumes, and it dries extremely fast which makes it stop working.

I recently tried a NMP stripper by the same company called Citristrip. It works nicely by not drying but it leaves an awful residue and I don't think it strips all the way to bare wood like the KWIK does. Interestingly, it's made by the same company!

What are you all using to strip existing paint/varnish/etc from furniture prior to refinishing?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-14, 04:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
I don't do much stripping but when I do I usually discuss it with the paint rep at the store to help decide which stripper would be best for the job at hand. That said, I've always preferred the more caustic strippers because they seem to work better. I'm not fond of stripping so any product that makes me work harder gets a

Old 03-19-14, 11:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
I like stuff with MEK in it because it works well but that is some nasty stuff, excellent ventilation is a must.

Old 03-21-14, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I've used many products. I'm just trying to take some time out of it. sigh.. this is the worst part of the job